1964 Mack B61 Aluminum Spiders

FarmEnterprises

Hello All, picked up this B61 last month. Finally got the engine running and now working on the brake system. I broke down the rear axle and to my surprise both left and right spiders are broken at the neck. The part numbers are 11QD566A & 11QD565A . I've heard rumors that there is a Steele spider that will bolt up and get me going. Anyone out there know what I'm up against here? Do I have to use the aluminum spiders? If so where can I get a set? Do I need to up-grade the entire brake system. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Them backing plates look like aluminium

normally alloy to get the same strength as steel it needs to be a lot thicker .... and the little bit more in profile will offset the backing plate and  alter the alignment if you switch to steel ............ or vise versa

Just guessn outside the square here

:D

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

They are aluminum for sure. The truck is a dual rear axles. I'm still stumped on this issue. I can't be the only one that purchased a B61 with aluminum spiders that have failed. I'm told by the museum that this truck has the light weight package therefore the aluminum spiders instead of steel. Having the part numbers for the steel spiders would help or a bolt on alternate spider???????

I would get the axle # and then start hitting the bone yards, my guess is the difference is as Swishy said, in the spider its self, I doubt that Mack used a different jig to weld the retaining ring onto the axle housing I would suspect that longer bolts were used on the alum. spider to attach it. if you were to put a straight edge across the mating side of the spider and then measure the off set to the edge of the anchor pin boss I would bet that  the steel and alum. are the same

(this would mean the brake shoes will ride in the same place in the drum)....provided the retainer ring is commonly welded in the same place on ether a steel or alum axle tube.