Early R model with two blowers ?

A friend recently showed me an early R model he has been familiar for a long time. There are two small electric bowers under the hood, on the firewall. There is one on each side of the engine, which I think is a thermodyne. The passenger side blower has a hose going to the side valve (tappet?) cover, and the driver side blower is connected  with a hose to the top of the flywheel housing.  The truck's owner says these are original components. What are they for?

Early R model Mack blower...jpg

Early R model engine...jpg

Early R model blower r side...jpg

early R model blower L side...jpg

Clutch one probably "cools" the clutch assembly.(?)

The one one the block is similar to my race cars vacuum pump for the crankcase. It removes crankcase pressure so the engine winds up faster. Never seen either of those on a truck. What was the R originally used for?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I would guess this truck was in some type of explosive environment, and these fans worked like a  blower on an inboard boat engine. the flywheel blower would prevent an explosion when the starter was engaged and the engine one would remove explosive fumes from the engine block.......but that's only a guess !

"Allentown,skip the turbo and put a couple of small blowers on it instead".......is how the phone call might have gone! A Powered Positive Crankcase Ventilation system?   New use for moms old personal hair dryer or dads heat gun? ......signed I.M. Stumpped (course,that don't take much)      Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA