compression test

davehummell

Hello, I would like to know what the cylinder cranking pressure should be for a end 673 I removed all the injectors and made sure the batterys  were up and I got 300 lbs on all 6. I wonder if it is to low? I think the 675 or 676 were 400 lbs. I just cranked the engine like you would a gas engine. Thank you Dave

This truck has me really thinking, It will not start when its cold without just a wiff of ether. I replaced fuel lines and fittings to were it keeps the fuel right there. I had the heads off and replaced the gaskets and went over the valves . readjusted valves and looked things over in the cylinders no damage in liners or piston crowns. I got 6 different injectors but I am going to have them checked 4 don't hit as hard as the other 2 they do slow the engine down when you crack them open. If I have to I will send the pump out to be checked. It seems to have equal pressure when you loosen the lines but that is just judgement call on the pump. I Thought it should have more pressure on cranking but it seems funny that all are that close and 300 lbs. I think this truck sat for a spell when I first fired it up and let it run for about an hour it slobberd oil out the exhaust ports, manifold is not on the engine so I could watch the ports. I then took it for a drive out around the block about 3 miles and now  the ports are dry as a bone so I wonder if I run it 10 or 15 miles if it would help it ? Thank you every one that took the time to respond. Dave

At my age I figured out I know a lot less than I did when I was in my youth. So I have to ask what is dusted mean? I guess I had heard it before but I can't remember it. I am going to end up pulling the pistons and rering them. All 6 injectors were just pushing fuel so I think the cylinders are glazed, before I do I will try to reseat the rings with bonami cleaner we sometimes had to help out an engine on the dyno.

dusted means has dust got in the engine somehow 

first things first when you very first wind the motor over does any smoke come out the exhaust, this will tell you if you are loosing fuel

when you did the compression test did you squirt any oil in each pot to see if the compression changed it will tell you if its the rings or the  heads you are loosing compression thru 

The problem when you are changing heaps of different things at once hoping to fix it you will never know what the problem is was as so much was changed 

When you had the heads off did you sit them on there side and fill the ports with petrol to make sure they were sealing well ???

I always do the the real basics first as 9 times out of 10 the basics lead me straight to the problem 

And please dont think Im been a smart ass here by been to simple

good luck

Paul

• Like 1

I don't know the history of this truck. The first thing I did was replace the filters  and fuellines and fittings that looked suspect and then I replaced primerpump and pulled off the transfer pump and seated the poppet valves. and  replaced the metal return line and rubber compression rings on the ends plus removed the check valve and made sure it worked. added gauge in line, now I know I am not losing prime. The rear head was leaking oil an I can't stand that so I pulled the heads and cleaned and checked the deck and heads with a machinist straight edge I seated valves up with paste and checked with srewloose spray they were real good before I touched them up. It shows fuel out the exhaust pipe now when you crank it. I replaced the 6 injectors with ones I had checked on a tester. just now I went out and squirted oil in cylinder and it went from 300 up to 400 so that about says I will be looking for at least rings or more parts .

• Like 1

thats good news and bad news hey 

good news you know were the problem is now ,bad news it's not a simple $5.00 fix but you can work from here 

Paul

one thing to always keep in mind I reckon is in Australia right up until the late 90's early 2000's almost all Macks were air start dunno why but thats the way we like them and with air start you only get one shot of say 10 seconds at the most to fire most likely only 5 seconds I know it aint long but these Mack motors when in fairly good nick fire first piston to the top even if they have been sitting for a long time they are real good starters every time so if you cant start it on a starter motor you got dramas !!!!!! .Air start soughts out the good motors from the bad in a instant 

seeya

Edited by mrsmackpaul

When my dad would build small cam cummins back in the day they would use an offset key to retard the cam timing.     Made for better running but harder starting on cloudy days.     I think someone mentioned before double check the timing while your at it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I would give a update on this disaster I bought. I did a compression test as mack recommends and I only had 375 lbs at 1000 rpm mack states it should be atleast 500. So I pulled the  pistons out  but no resistance when I pushed the rods and pistons out  Liners were glazed up real bad  the 6 injectors that were bad didn't help any. Piston are good, rings are weak on tension. I have dealt with cook brothers truck parts for 25 or so years so tom and jeff found me ring sets and 20 under rod bearings. I guess I will pull the mains and see what I have to scare me some more. Dave

• Like 1