Washington DC area things to do/see

This Midwesterner is going to be in the Washington DC area next week for a few days (Oct 27-29) and I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any vintage truck things to do or see in that area.  I don't get to the east coast very often so I thought I'd ask here.  I know the Keystone Museum is a couple hours south of DC so that's one possibility.  Are there any other museums or truck collections out that way?  Any shows?  Any nice Superliners to see, lol?  Thanks!   

Not much in the way of public collections in the area that I know of. The Keystone is probably your best bet. Show season has pretty well wrapped up as well.

I assume you are doing the tourist thing? If so there is plenty to see and do in DC and the Metro area. Make sure you get to the new(er) addition, the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, to Air and Space at Dulles Airport. Just doing the various Smithsonians can eat up a week if you want to really look at each exhibit.

If you are a Civil War buff Gettysburg is only a little over an hour from DC and there are numerous other battle grounds just south of DC like Manassas and Fredericksburg.

Mount Vernon estate in VA and of course Arlington National Cemetery are also well worth the time to visit as well.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Truck wise the Keystone Museum is it but well worth the trip! There is a fire engine museum on the northside of Baltimore. All the previous museums mentioned are also terrific. There should be enough here to keep you busy! P.S. Stay off the Beltway during rush hour or that is where you will spend most of your time!

• Like 1

Traffic in this area is legendary, so plan on avoiding rush hour as much as possible if you venture outside of the city. OBTW "evening" rush hour can begin as early as 1:00 pm in the summer and is generally getting tight by 3 every day. i.e. I live about 40 miles south and it was not out of the norm for my commute to take 2 to 3 hours in the evening.

The best traffic info is on WTOP, 107.7, or Waze.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

All of the Smithsonian Museums are well worth your time BUT I would not drive into downtown DC. I would park on the outskirts and take the Metro in. The Metro is a mess now because of maintenance that is being done. You might want to check to see what lines are being affected when you plan to go. Good Luck.

Send me a PM and I can hook you up to visit a couple of private fire truck collections in the area. I am headed to ME on the 25th to go get a friends new project with him, but I should be back by the 27th.

On 10/17/2016 at 8:59 PM, wingman said:

Truck wise the Keystone Museum is it but well worth the trip! There is a fire engine museum on the northside of Baltimore. All the previous museums mentioned are also terrific. There should be enough here to keep you busy! P.S. Stay off the Beltway during rush hour or that is where you will spend most of your time!

true that!

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.