Dodge Trucks - What's new for 2017

kscarbel2

5 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

Was hoping that some of the Iveco line of heavier trucks would eventually come to North America wearing the Ram brand, but I guess there is no hope of that happening now.

It "could" happen, but CNH is too cash-strapped I think to fund the project. The Powerstar would perform well in the U.S. market.

2012 Iveco PowerStar 7200 sleeper...JPG

28 minutes ago, bulldogboy said:

The USPS likes those new Dodge full size vans. I've seen a lot of them at post offices.

bulldogboy   

USPS also likes the Tesla OTR concept too.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

56 minutes ago, bulldogboy said:

The USPS likes those new Dodge full size vans. I've seen a lot of them at post offices.

bulldogboy   

I love the Iveco Daily. It's a star performer all over the world.

But I dislike the horrible looking Fiat Doblo (aka. Promaster City) compact van, as well as the USPS's Fiat Ducatos (aka. Promaster) full-size vans.

This is what Car & Driver had to say about the USPS's Ducatos (the Ford Transit scored highest in the 3 vehicle comparison with the Sprinter).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/diesel-cargo-vans-compared-ford-transit-vs-mercedes-benz-sprinter-ram-promaster-comparison-test

The Ram ProMaster, a Fiat Ducato with ram-head logos, is a detestable, shovel-faced thing that appears to have been cobbled together from spare parts. Too harsh? No, not really. The ProMaster itself is an insult. It is the only vehicle in any comparison test in memory to receive zero points in a subjective category from one of our ­voters. That would be for its dreadful single-clutch automated-manual transmission. The other voters each gave it one mercy point. Pull out onto a busy road and the vehicle comes to a near stop as the transmission pauses to find the next gear. It’s not just annoying, causing your head to bob fore and aft with every shift, it’s scary. The steering system is loose and numb and connected to a steering wheel that feels only a few degrees from a horizontal orientation. It’s better than the steering in an ex-military Hummer H1 or a Mercedes-Benz G-class, but worse than everything else.

Its 3.0-liter inline-four turbo-diesel makes more power than the Mercedes’ smaller-displacement four, but the ProMaster returns the slowest acceleration in the test by two seconds to 60 mph. This despite being the shortest and lightest of the vans. It also takes the longest distance to stop from 70 mph. It was the loudest van, it was judged to have the worst ride, and its handling properties were bottom rung.

Oh, and judging by the contorted position that Fiat/Ram forces the ProMaster’s driver into, the company must really hate plumbers and delivery drivers. Why? We don’t know.

We probably should have specified the longer-wheelbase version, which would have brought it closer to other competitors in terms of length. But the problems that ail the ProMaster will not be solved by more ProMaster.

Ram Raises Capacities for 2017 Chassis Cab Trucks

Heavy Duty Trucking  /  September 1, 2016

Ram has increased the towing capacities and gross combination weight rating (GCWR) for its 3500, 4500, and 5500 chassis cab trucks for the 2017 model year, Ram has announced.

The tow capacities and GCWR increase 1,000 pounds each. Ram will also offer an optional LED tail lamp and standard five-micron cabin air filter.

The max trailering weight for 2017 increases to 23,770 pounds for the Ram 3500, 25,650 pounds for the Ram 4500, and 30,600 for the Ram 5500. The GCWR increases to 31,000 pounds for the Ram 3500, 33,500 pounds for the Ram 4500, and 38,500 pounds for the Ram 5500.

The chassis cab trucks are available in three trim levels, including Tradesman, SLT, and Laramie. Regular or crew cab trucks offer cab-to-axle lengths of 60, 84, 108, and 120 inches.

Engine options carry over, including a choice between the 6.4L HEMI V-8 and 6.7L Cummins diesel inline-6. The diesel offers 15,000-mile oil change intervals. The trucks offer a 74-gallon fuel tank and optional 22-gallon auxiliary tank.

KS I am on board with USPS buying American. Yes milkman that Iveco is a good looking vehicle. It kind of has the general shape of a Volvo VN but much better. That would be a good start for the Mack new cab. By the way where is the new Mack cab. Probably the same place as the US Superliner/Trident, forward mixer, E-9, Titan sleepers,  Cummins diesel option, etc. etc.

• Like 1

I haven't read through all of the bulky USPS procurement manuals, but my understanding is that there is no "buy american" requirement. NAFTA and other trade bad deals made "buy american" policies in government purchasing illegal. From a practical point of view, some of the supposedly "american" vehicles USPS has bought like big 3 pickups are in fact built in Mexico, and it's impossible to find a 100% american made vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...