High Striker

Loadstar

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgLast fall I bought an old carnival high striker game...the kind with a big wooden hammer and bell. I figure the kids would have a ball playing around with it. The top half with the bell is fine but the botten part you hit is rotten and needs to be rebuilt. There is a 4" round rubber bumper that is retained by a metal "shackle" that I'm guessing came from a truck suspension. Anybody know the application this was originally intended for? And if a replacement is available? Thanks....

Edited by Loadstar

Got on a vintage Ford site. It looks like 1952 and down truck or 39 to 49 Mercury or Linclin spring snubber. Or a mid 60's to mid 70's Mopar pinion snubber could easily be adapted.    Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Thanks Paul.......I'll check that out.....I was thinking maybe military because of the size?

That's why I mention Ford  Truck, the F-4 and larger look closer to the sizes for the over load snubbers, but the Merc and Lincolins had a 3 3/4 diameter snubbers on the Senior models. It's a place to start from.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

35 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

That's why I mention Ford  Truck, the F-4 and larger look closer to the sizes for the over load snubbers, but the Merc and Lincolins had a 3 3/4 diameter snubbers on the Senior models. It's a place to start from.

Thanks again....

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Loadstar said:

image.jpgPaul, after your advice I was able to locate a similar rubber on eBay. The wood on the base was completely rotten so  I had to rebuild it. Finally got it back together for this weekend.....Plenty of smiles by everyone trying to "Ring the Bell"

Glad I helped!  Any one ring the bell??    Paul

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks for the replies.....a couple of us could ring the bell. The kids could make it up about half way. It's more about hitting the pad just right and less about brute strength. When I bought the game it was in pieces.....and there were boxes of parts.... One box contained 3 or 4 of the "Chasers".....the metal piece that slides up the rail....there were different weight ones to make the game easier or harder....you can see in the picture below that one was drilled out to reduce weight .....image.jpgThe story I got was that they would start with a light one to draw people in and then switch to the heavier ones.....clever or crooked depending on which side of the hammer your on! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Very good job on the restoration. Now call me when you get the wooden Roller Coaster finished.  

That would be cool !!!! I use to drive by this one just about everyday...... It was at Lincoln park in Dartmouth Ma. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 1

Totally sad to see them go to the boneyard. In south Nashville, used to have a wooden roller coaster in what was once our " Fair Park " at the Nashville Fairgrounds, just outside the race track fence of the Fairground Speedway. It is also in jeopardy of being torn down by our newer politicians and neighbors that did not live here during the many years of the track. History from here is not important to people that were not from here.  

• Like 1

That's a great toy to have.  When I was a kid my parents took us to an amusement park and my father dragged the hammer up like it weighed a ton then swung and 'ding'.  The big guy behind him was not successful.  Mike. 

• Like 2

I did the same to one of my friends in the neighborhood. We were playing croquet in his backyard, when he came up behind me, I swung the mallet over my head and hit him square in the forehead. Man I have never seen such a large bump before. When he hit the ground, mom and big brother ran out of the house. By then his eyes were crossed and then I was told to go home. We were about eight years old, I don't recall getting to go back to play with him again.  

On 6/2/2016 at 8:23 AM, Mike said:

Very good job on the restoration. Now call me when you get the wooden Roller Coaster finished.  

Come ride the Cyclone at Coney Island. last wooden on in N.Y. Minor Sandy damage got it new cars.

Coney_Island_2010_109.JPG

P.T.CHESHIRE