B 61 Throttle Response TroubleShooting

All,

I've recently noticed a problem with the throttle response on my B61 w/ 673T. I'll be driving in top gear (5/High) and be running about 45 to 50 mph with a 1/4 throttle and then my rpms will slowly back off until I have to down shift. Applying additional gas even down to the floor yields no response (almost as if its bogging). I'll down shift, stop and run up through the gears again no problem and drive for another 5 to 10 minutes before it happens again. My guess is fuel system, injection pump or governor? Any thoughts?

If you don't find it then make you up a tee and put it inline from the filter to the injection pump.Connect a 50 psi gauge to it with a hose that will come up to your cab.Drive it and watch the fuel pressure and it should keep at least 30 psi under load as we as unloaded.This is checking for a restriction in a line and also the supply pump and it will also show a stoppd up filter.There should be two filters on that truck. Make sure your throddle lever is ok.

glenn akers

The other guys on here are much more versed than I, but may have some other thoughts.

I worked at a place that a truck and it did that same sort of thing as you described.  Finally ended up being some rust chunks in the fuel tank.  When you drove it it would suck up some chunks and restrict fuel flow, so then when you let off and the engine was not calling for as much fuel the chunks would drop off and it would mostly get right with the program again.

After a few rounds of this I got sick of that routine and we dropped and cleaned the tank and lines.