Sound Proofing

Vlad

I cannot recall the quantity used. Please Google "Lizard Skin" web site and it has all the technical info, including coverage per 2 gallon plastic container that it is supplied. Good reading and the information is accurate. We have made our own experiments including the FRY PAN test.

It is very popular with the USA hot rod shop guys, many of them apply the Lizard skin as standard product on their jobs for insulation and sound.

Also if you buy it, any left over will last for many years, leave it in the plastic container, press the plastic lid tight and then run the wide plastic duct tape around fully sealing so no air gets inside, turn the container upside down. Leave it in a cool, dark and dry place. When you want to use in future, take out what you require add some water and stir it to get a smooth paste then apply - don't make it to runny, again any left over put back into container and stir in with what is in the container. We have a container now about 9 years old and continue to use the Lizard skin fro time to time. Must seal the container air tight.

It has many other applications - example - air conditioning ducts in houses and buildings, where they are joined usually duct tape is used to seal the joint - this tape within 1-2 years the glue breaks down because of hot and cold temps, the ducts come apart in the ceiling or under floors and often we cannot see there is a problem we loose heat and cool air - easy solved - paint a coat of lizard skin around the duct tape plus approx 30 mm or 1.5 inches over edge of the tape all around the duct - it will never come apart. Also a black flexible plastic air cleaner hose on our car engine approx diameter of 4 inches - 75 mm, had a split about half the diameter, we cleaned the area around the split held joint tight - used a small children's artist brush to apply a coating of lizard skin with approx 10 mm overlap both sides of the split let it dry fro 1 day, next day gave the dried lizard skin a fine sanding to smooth the rough bits of the dried Lizard skin - hard to see the repair and has been operating for 3 years no further breakage. It is flexible. Can also be used in building work as an insulator around light fittings in ceilings for fire protection, split or cracked windscreen water bottles because it is water sealer as well - a very useful all round product to have on the workshop shelf.

Cloth backed "duct tape" or "100 MPH" tape was designed for the military use and is not suitable for HVAC work for the reason you specified. There are several tapes made specifically designed for HVAC use that does not break down over time with at least a 25 year use expectancy.

Here is the link to http://www.lizardskin.com/

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Harrybarbon, thanks again for the detailed answer.

With that lot of info and advices to use the Lizard Skin crue should send you a bonus set of their product to cover the advertizement work :twothumbsup:

Sure just kidding.

I will try to get and test it.

Just difficult to imagine the fry pan effect.

Our world is full of frustrations but from what you said it must be a great stuff.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thomas thank you for the tape info. Here the air con guys use extensively what is called duct tape on ducts and it does not last. It's a big seller at the hardware shops.

Vlad - Re the lizard skin would be good to get some free product and I have no financial interest just an interested user, probably our guys have used it on 6 trucks to date.

We spent some time researching for a real insulator and sound proofing product because there usual products are not really 100% sealers and so if water or moisture gets behind the dynamat and similar products, carpet etc that is the start of rust and we find out when it is too late. The lizard skin is a real sealer gets into all tight blind spots so no water will get in and it is flexible. For old trucks there are many holes and cracks to allow water and air in so when good labour and money is spent on restoring etc the hidden sections need to be properly done then peace of mind.

I have posted this info so others can benefit from our research, sharing info is for all to get some progress in their truck projects and general knowledge. Good luck with your projects.

And yes our fry pan experiment did happen and no burnt skin, I think we stil have the fry pan in the work shop.

• Like 2

You used the Sound Control or the Thermal Insulation product? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

41chevy, on 01 Jan 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

You used the Sound Control or the Thermal Insulation product? Paul

To explain our process for the fire wall, on the engine side, cab stripped to bare metal, rust etc repaired, spray primer, then on the fire wall - engine side - we sprayed first the Lizard skin - the sound control,let it dry and lightly sand to remove rough finish, then we sprayed the second product the lizard skin and also did a light sanding after drying (they have the 2 products and must be applied as noted here),

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

41chevy, on 01 Jan 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

Thanks didn't see "sound control" OOPS

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yes we got confused about the 2 products. When we first made our enquiries about Lizard skin there was only ONE product - it was called Lizard skin and this product is both a sound control and thermal insulation - hence the reason for the fry pan test. Then a couple of years later they developed a separate product for sound control - which I think is called Sound Control. The advice from the Lizard skin company, for the correct application process is - clean/strip the metal surface to bare metal removing all rust - prime coat the metal - apply 1 (or 2) coats of Sound Control - allow to dry properly ( in dry warm temp 3 hours max) then apply 1 (or 2) coats of the Lizard skin insulator.

Yes we applied both products to maximise the benefits in our B model cab for sound reduction and the heat reduction in the cabin.

• 1 month later...

It's worth every penny. The roof flashing tape works really well too

I just tried a bit of the bitumen roof flashing today. Very similar to dynamat in the way it feels and applies and it definitely works. I think if used in conjunction with dynamat you could do your whole truck and save quite a bit.

I just tried a bit of the bitumen roof flashing today. Very similar to dynamat in the way it feels and applies and it definitely works. I think if used in conjunction with dynamat you could do your whole truck and save quite a bit.

Does it have any odor?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Does it have any odor?

Honestly, my truck has got no glass in and no doors so it's well ventilated at the moment. But I couldn't smell any odour from the flashing when it was in one big roll or when I had put it in the truck. I have heard that's one disadvantage from using this stuff.