Overhead Door Disaster!

Red Horse

Well anyone have this happen? Couple of years ago I got tired of shoveling snow away from swing out barn doors so I installed an OH door with auto operator. Today I'm backing the Deere out while listening to tunes on the iPhone- I Heart radio. I'm paying attention to rear wheels clearing door jams and I hear a crash. I look forward and OH door has started closing-just missed cab but snags exhaust pipe. Bends the shit out of the OH door panel, exhaust is cocked.

No clue as to what happened but can only think one way or another operator picked up a signal from someplace and activated door. Just online with Deere parts- elbow if I can't straighten is 197 bucks and at least one fiberglass OH door panel.

Moral of the story I guess-don't listen to your I-phone while traversing your OH doors. I have had OH doors at house open because of "mystery signal-never had one close though and for sure never had barn door activate without deliberate signal before.

I cleaned a set of warning lights and three radio antennas off the roof of a firetruck once because some asshole standing at the remote door switch (who thought that the money for the heating bill came out of his own pocket) got punchy with the "CLOSE" button...........

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Well, there should be sensors on the bottom of the track to not allow the door to close when there is something in the way(like a tractor). Mostly for small children.

I'm guilty, I took mine off and mounted them above the opener so that it always works and I can walk out the door after pushing the button and not have it go back up. No small children around so that is not a concern.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The sensors only see something between them so if have of the equipment is in and half out...no luck. There is a sensor that is a door bottom edge sensor that if it strikes an object will reverse the door like the other sensors...they can all suck but it would have lessened the damage in this case...Doors are not cheap either. sorry for the bad luck

Gotta love door openers. Had the opposite happen to me. pressed the remote opener turned around and stared backing in with the plow. I took out the whole 16 foot OH door, dead batteries in the remote... We still call the plow tractor BUMPER. I did have the sensors by the floor but took them out too. LOL. Kids remind me of it when I go out to plow every winter.

Ya, I understand the front /rear axle spread issue and the sensors.

We have the rubber strip on one of the shop doors that has an opener(don't work anymore) because sensor would not be feasible.

Our guys run tow motors into them and they don't have openers!! Just spend a few thousand last fall to fix the bottom half of some doors so they close tight enough to keep the snow from blowing in.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My wife had a Exxon Mobil "gas Wand" you would pass over the sensor on the pump to activate and pay for it. We found it would also lock the doors on her car at the same time as working the pump.

When we had Dish TV, the remote for the box would open and close our garage door when the scan mode was selected.

Move around the garage with the I phone on the radio station and see if it activates the door.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Guys- this was the "perfect storm".

Door sensors are mounted like 8" off floor-Dog and cat protectors?? rear tires have cleared beam. Door starts coming down and misses cab roof-and fortunately front windshield which is a big piece of curved glass$$$$- it is now between windshield and then hits the vertical exhaust as I'm backing up.

Probably the only thing that would be sort of bullet proof would be another eye that goes diagonally from high side of stall to low side on other side.

And 41- I have had that Iphone and IHeart radio going all the time in the barn while working and never an issue. But just think of all the wireless shit we have going on around us all the time now.

• Like 1