Leaking Batteries

My batteries have been leaking fluid into the battery box for quite awhile now. I've checked the voltage at the terminals with the truck idling and I get about 14volts. Thats normal right? I also moniter my volt guage throughout the day and it never reads over 14volts so I don't think they're being overcharged. Yet Batteries Plus where I bought them seems to think the only reason for a battery to leak is over-charging so they won't warranty them. :(

Maybe the caps just aren't sealing properly. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks Jeff

14volts is fine.

I wonder if maybe they are getting shook up a bit much on the road? Causing some splash out of the vent? Is it individual caps?

Usually overcharging will make them evaporate and be low on fluid.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If they were over charging they would smell like they were spuing battery acid all over the place, a very bad smell. I have seen that more times then I care to think about, also if they were being over charged they would be needing water to be added every day as well. I can tell you as far as the people who sold you the batteries go, they will usually come up with anything to void the warranty. (good luck there) Now if you were to buy 100 batteries a year from them then maybe they would be willing to not only warranty them, but chek to see why they are losing water/acid.

I am a little tired of people that sell you something and say, it comes with a warranty too, then if you have a problem, they say anything to void the warranty. I've had more than my fair share of that non-sence.

Good Luck

Dak49

These batteries have the strip caps. Funny thing is all three of them seem to be leaking from under the caps.

I'm going to need a battery box soon as mine has a fair amount of rot (14 years of Mn. winters). I would hate to have to put these leaky batteries into a brand new box.

Maybe I'll call the manager at Batteries Plus and bug him a little more about this.

be carfull with leaking batterys. I just had one blow up on me last week from just a very week spark. Luckly I had gloves and sunglasses on. Always herd about them exploding but never had one do it on me. If its leaking they may be overcharging and or have a bad ground somewhere? If they still have the date on them check for the warrenty. just be carefull and dont stand over it when working on a bad one.

Lmackattack has a very good point when working on/around batteries, be careful. if they are being overcharged they will have a very explosive vapor coming from them. From what you said, that at the battery its self it was showing 14 volts, that's not bad, with a lot of newer cars, they are suppose to have anywhere from 14-15 volts. Some of it depends on the state of the battery if its low it will draw all the alt. will put out, if they are fully charged they should only draw enough to keep them that way.

One more thing that "could" cause the problem you are having, a battery could have a short and that can cause just what you are experiencing. The best way to check for that is to disconnect all the batt's and test each one by its self.

Wish I could be of more help sir.

Good Luck

Dak49

• 3 months later...

As a fleet mechanic I will tell you unless you are running 1000 lights you only need about 13,13.5 volts for running and normal ops. Most all vehicle accs. claim max volts to be 14 or so. Remember if you look at an analog gauge it never reads as accurite as a digital. Just to be sure you don't have a battery issue take all the jumpers off and load test each one separatley.If you can check the specific gravity(hydrometer) that will show a bad bat too!

• 3 months later...

Take a look at the vents on the batteries, they should be facing inboard towards the frame rail. When the highway line was moved to NRV hey changed the way Mack installed the batteries and put the vents facing out. Then with the bouncing of the trucks the acid would get into the vents run out, especially on the right side.

13.8 is enough voltage and also if you are checking the battiers at idle then try running it at about 1500 for a few mintes and then test at the battery with a multimeter for the voltage. 15 volst or close to it will ruin your battiers sone. Also as some one has said a bad ride will shake the battiers enough some times to make them leak.

glenn akers

After reading these comments, I thought I'd share this little incident that happened at the shop a few weeks ago:

One of the operators who was on layoff at the time brought in a small 12 volt battery out of his lawn tractor or snowblower or whatever.

He said it needed charging and could he hook it up to the battery charger for a while.

Shop foreman told him sure, go ahead, the charger is over there by the front door.

Nobody thought much of it, until Rich (one of the mechanics) walked in the door after a parts run, and saw the battery sitting on the counter, hooked up to the charger, with the caps blown off and 6 jets of gases shooting out of the cells!

Rich walked by the battery keeping his back turned toward it, and pulled the plug on the battery charger.

We all stayed away from it for awhile, til the gases stopped shooting out of it.

Turns out that the operator had set the charger on 24 volts, hi rate, and left the shop!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet if Rich hadn't walked in when he did, and unplugged the charger, that little battery would have gone on fire pretty quickly!

Operator had to buy a new battery too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Minium acid level = the plates to be fully covered

Maxium acid level = so it dont spew out the vents or tops! normally has a depth indicator on each cell

I'd guess U have to much acid n as it charges n heats up it expands n spews out

have had this problem in the past

Well th@'z my Version

cya

§wishy

HasBeen

Thanks for all the great replies all. My guess is Swishy is right and the batteries were over full to begin with or they just have a bad vent design (they ARE from Batteries Plus). Not noticing nearly the leakage as before and they all have held a good charge for months now so I don't think it was a bad battery or electrical issue.

Jeff