Governor Is Not Governing:

Rob

Tonight I had to fire up ole "Trusty Rusty" the 64 B-61 for a little tug on a trailer. As is the norm, he started right up idled smooth and started to build air pressure just fine. With about 80psi in the tanks I proceeded to hook up to the trailer and upon reentering the cab I noticed the air pressure was well over 150 psi. I quickly stepped on the service brakes several times to bring the pressure down quickly but this thing just kept a pumping and right up to 150 psi again.

I know the air governor has prolly gone "belly up" but it is not the normal D-2 style that I'm acclimated with. This one says Sealco on it and looks different. Can I replace this one with a Bendix style, or should I stay with this type, (assuming it is still available), or look for a rebuild kit?

Hopefully the photo will show up.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Rob,

I'm just curious, is there suppose to be a hose connected to the right side of this governor. Also looks like this unit can be taken apart for repair, from my view. It reminds me of just a simple diaphram.

mike

There is no hose connection on the rt. side. That is a threaded adjustment bolt for pressure I'm certain. Like Glenn states, replace with a D-2 so that's what I'm going to do. I assume the diaphragm has ruptured or torn causing the problem.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Replace with a D2 bendix.

Kinda figgered that Glenn. I've never seen too much Sealco parts around but my experience is limited.

Thanks again,

Rob

Sounds like you better put a new "pop off" valve on your air tank,too.It shouldn't have built that much pressure.

It has what appears to be a normal home air compressor relief valve on the wet tank and does blow at 155 psi measured. It is stamped at 150 psi on the body.

Rob

make sure you get a NEW D2 or you'll pay double for a core charge...

275491N is the part number! :)

Thanks Barry for the advice. Is there a difference between compressor mount D-2 governors, and the remote mount type?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks Barry for the advice. Is there a difference between compressor mount D-2 governors, and the remote mount type?

Thanks,

Rob

There may be other gov models, but a D2 will mount either way.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Time to re-elect a new governor Rob :P . D2 is just fine, 2 ports needed. one from the air tank and then one to the unloader port. plug the air dryer port if you don't have an air dryer.

Hi Thad, been wondering where you've been hiding lately.

I ordered one this afternoon as per everyones advice. I don't have an air dryer on that truck so it should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks,

Rob

After this one is locked up for corruption.

Rob

I was surprised he got RE-ELECTED!!!

Then again, too many idiots in Chicago vote straight ticket however the union or Jesse Jackson tells 'em to, and too many people downstate vote democrat because that's how their daddy and grandaddy and his daddy before him all voted....nobody seems to look at the candidate and what that candidate stands for or has done anymore...just voting for the letter after the candidate's name...(D) or ®...Last time Blagosab!tch was up for re-election, there was a friggin TRUCKING company down here with one of his signs out front....I guess they forgot all the tax breaks he did away with, the fees he increased, and the multiple veto's of the bills to get rid of that danged split speed limit (amongst all of the other corruption and wasteful spending) :angry:

but since I don't want to hijack your thread (too late, right? :lol: )....so you get your air problem sorted out yet?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I was surprised he got RE-ELECTED!!!

Then again, too many idiots in Chicago vote straight ticket however the union or Jesse Jackson tells 'em to, and too many people downstate vote democrat because that's how their daddy and grandaddy and his daddy before him all voted....nobody seems to look at the candidate and what that candidate stands for or has done anymore...just voting for the letter after the candidate's name...(D) or ®...Last time Blagosab!tch was up for re-election, there was a friggin TRUCKING company down here with one of his signs out front....I guess they forgot all the tax breaks he did away with, the fees he increased, and the multiple veto's of the bills to get rid of that danged split speed limit (amongst all of the other corruption and wasteful spending) :angry:

but since I don't want to hijack your thread (too late, right? :lol: )....so you get your air problem sorted out yet?

Wouldn't worry about that. The guy is a well known crook that is as bad as his predecessor. Ryan is proof that you can only piss so many people off till it catches up with you.

Blagos' time is comming.

I received the new air governor today but did not install it. Probably won't get a chance until the middle of next week but truck is not needed all that often.

Rob

Wouldn't worry about that. The guy is a well known crook that is as bad as his predecessor. Ryan is proof that you can only piss so many people off till it catches up with you.

Blagos' time is comming.

I received the new air governor today but did not install it. Probably won't get a chance until the middle of next week but truck is not needed all that often.

Rob

DADGUMIT!!! how many trucks you got ta choose from? I just noticed you got quite a few listed...if I had that many trucks, I wouldn't have to jerry-rig up various "fixes" to get me down the road 'til I can make it by a place to get the "proper" parts....

...the latest is a reverse sensor on the trans...gotta run a hot wire to the backup alarm from a switch in the dash so I don't get kicked out of the mines or written a ticket by MSHA :angry:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

DADGUMIT!!! how many trucks you got ta choose from? I just noticed you got quite a few listed...if I had that many trucks, I wouldn't have to jerry-rig up various "fixes" to get me down the road 'til I can make it by a place to get the "proper" parts....

...the latest is a reverse sensor on the trans...gotta run a hot wire to the backup alarm from a switch in the dash so I don't get kicked out of the mines or written a ticket by MSHA :angry:

I've got more than I need; I'm not a trucker either, just like trucks.

Where are you from in so IL?

Rob

35 miles north of Ft. Defiance :thumb:

I used to travel the state extensively in days gone by....

You are quite a bit south in the state. I always liked it there.

Rob

Installed the new D-2 governor today. Off at about 120 after adjustment, on at about 105 thereabouts.

Thanks,

Rob

Installed the new D-2 governor today. Off at about 120 after adjustment, on at about 105 thereabouts.

Thanks,

Rob

Good deal! :thumb:

BTW, Mack Performance Tour is in town this weekend :chili::banana:

I was thinking it was gonna be @ McBride in Carbondale, but this schedule shows it split between Cape and Carbondale....don't make no difference to me....same distance either way....just gotta make sure I go to the right one :pat:

...hope they gots my reverse sensor in stock :rolleyes: