Decissions, Decissions

Hey Super Dogs,

I've been studying, trying to figure out which Mack to buy. One is a B61 single axle all original needs only minor work, brake air leak, faded paint, no big deal. But, it was the Marsh Grocery Store that owned it. Green fenders and roof. Biege body and interior. The seats good shape and all original. If I buy this truck I would want to change the paint color to what I like. This would change the originality of this truck, not nessarily a good thing, right?

The other B61 is a tandem, has Mack colors inside and out. I would not have a problem changing the color on the outside, leaving the inside as is. This truck has me scratching my head about the price, and time on the engine. I really need you'all's advice PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanking You!

mike :mack1::mack1:

Hey Packer,

If I leave them as is, then I could tell the POLITICAL JUDGES that it is the original colors. Maybe they would buy it. That is a 50/50 chance. I have done the car shows and bike shows back in the 80's and 90's and I would have to say crap on showing anything, because of the political bureacracy. Not being short with you but Ihate politics. I've been their done that. Check out the guy from the Netherlands paint job June 15th. He got The GoodHouse Keeping Seal of Approval on that job.

Thanks for the reply.

mike

Hi,

When it comes to trucks, don't worry about the original color too much, So many trucks were painted shortly after they were purchased. Several companies wanted their trucks to match. Back in the days of regulated truck traffic you need to be leased to a company to have athority to haul anything, They wanted you to paint your new truck to match their colors you did it. So I would paint your truck any color you like... If you get one like mine chances are it was that color at sometime in its life already. Basicly no one will complain about color like the Correct Police in the car collector hobbies, most of us don't care if the numbers match.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Welcome to the world of old trucks. ANY color is proper as long as YOU Like it!

Some guys like pristine restorations, others like to customize them. Build it anyway you like.

You won't go to ANY real truck show where they are judged "concourse". Actually the more rusty/originality the better. It tells a story of what the truck has been through.

Pick either truck(or both!) and enjoy.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi Fred and Larry,

Thanks for replying to my message. I just don't have any fun if I have to clean, paint put on chrome fix or repair often just to go and let someone judge my vehicle. I used to go and get what we called " Home Cookin". That was when you would carry your car etc. to a show, maybe drive several hundred miles, worked most of the night after working the day before just to get a possible $25.00 trophy or plaque. I had a National Winner vehicle and would sometimes go to a show, people would see me getting registered at the gate. They would come over and tell me that I had no worries, that I had taken the show in my class only to be taken by the "Home Cookin". Sometimes our club would go home with nothing. Man when you stick around awhile in life it can trip you up many times. I do like to see vehicles that have the original paint and equipment. Anyway i'll get off of my soak box and say thanks to you guys for the encouragement and let you talk now. Larry, when I first saw your drag car on this site. I thought it was a 64 Thunderbolt, 427 ci sideoiler leaving the line. Sure had my curiosity up. Man those were the days in my life that were fun, at the local Dragstrip, outside of Nashville. I would sometimes go to Bowling Green, KY. and watch them. Good Luck with it.

mike

The old truck crowd is WAY different then "car" people. We don't like trophies, period. Push, pull, drag it in with a chain and you'll get people to look at it, ask questions and appreciate that you brought it!

I used to do car shows/cruise in back in early 90's, and you're right it's all about the voting(stuffing the ballot box) or judging. My pickup was just a nice original '69 F100(back then) and I never expect to win anything(and never did) but it was funny to watch the fanatic people that freaked if they DIDN'T win something(some should have, some shouldn't). I have a friend with a '67 Shelby Mustang that took 979/1000 pts at National show. He was told to basically not bring it back as it was too perfect. So now it's a showpiece that never is going to see the light of day again. It's worth too much to drive to any local shows.

Good story: Couple years ago went to car show at Ford Dealer. It was suppose to be "all ford". The "dealer choice award" was a '50 sedan that had a Chevy subframe and 350 powered. HUH? Alot of very nice Model A and T's and other super sano cars, but they picked this "custom". Ya, real Ford ya picked there. Ok, I'll quit ramblin'

I've had my car down to Bowling Green a few times. I used to travel some with the NMCA (nat muscle car assoc) and run N/SS with it. Now I stay local as it's too expensive to run too far anymore.

Larry

Rear? Ya, I've had mine out. Even broke RR just a month ago. Check in the forums, as I posted about it. Go figure, 50yr old springs breaking?

Mine is only a s/a, so it's an easy job. If you have camelback........that's a whole other story.

I haven't had the fronts out yet, though someday I'd like to get them redone. Right now my drivers side has a clamp that has popped on it, though it's not hurting anything I'd like to get it repacked. I suppose the worse is getting the rear pin out? The front is on a slipper pad.

Larry

Yes, It makes me wonder about the two trucks I'm looking at. One of the trucks gets a dose of truck pulls during the summer. Doesn't seem very good for the springs at it's age. I would like to ask, what is the cause of each truck that I drive seems to have a square tire on the front. I expect a hard ride but they all have a tire that seems to be shaking the truck very bad.

mike

I had old bias plys on mine when I bought it and they weren't terrible, just old. I put new radials all around and it's smooth as glass at 65 mph. One finger driving most anywhere.

The reason mine broke was I have mine cut down to only 3 leaves out back. With the last 7 yrs of exagerated movement the big leaves gave out. These weren't meant to move as far as I was moving them, so they broke. With NEW leaves I'm sure it will out last me.

Larry

my truck doesn't ride like it has a square wheel,feels more like i'm riding on 10 footballs.Got 2 bias ply on the steering ,8 recaps on the rear.I can get good used tires for free where I work,i'm just trying to find some wheels I can run the tubeless tires on for the same price :D

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Guys,

Are you saying do not run bias and radials? But can run bias or radials? I remember the 55 Ford Fairlane we had growing up. The car would bounce badly until the tires warmed up. They were rayon tires back then. These two trucks remind me of that. But I have not driven these trucks far enough to get them heated up to highway temp. I'm thinking that these trucks have been sitting so long that they have developed a flat spot inside of a front tire. I cannot figure this out.

mike

Guys,

Are you saying do not run bias and radials? But can run bias or radials? I remember the 55 Ford Fairlane we had growing up. The car would bounce badly until the tires warmed up. They were rayon tires back then. These two trucks remind me of that. But I have not driven these trucks far enough to get them heated up to highway temp. I'm thinking that these trucks have been sitting so long that they have developed a flat spot inside of a front tire. I cannot figure this out.

mike

Mike, you will get a smoother, more consistent, comfortable ride with radial ply construction tires as opposed to Nylon, or bias tires. I try to run all radial tires on the truck but at a minimum, I run radials on the steer axle. Never had any problems doing this although most will say one should not.

Truck tires are expensive no doubt. You don't have to go with the highest dollar set for the truck, but inexpensive Chinese junk, (Yang Foo, Double Happiness, etc..) is certainly not the best way to go either. I tend to look to spend about $300.00 per tire, (11R-22.5 size) for an easily recognizeable brand to be in the middle of the road. For a hobby truck, don't rule out purchasing a set of used tires.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Rob,

Thank you for replying. This answer has greatly helped me to decide. A used set of radials sounds to me the best idea. But I still don't understand what is causing these trucks to roll so bad. By the way HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSERY!!!!

mike

Hey Rob,

Thank you for replying. This answer has greatly helped me to decide. A used set of radials sounds to me the best idea. But I still don't understand what is causing these trucks to roll so bad. By the way HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSERY!!!!

mike

Mike, the reason is called "flat spotting". Older, bias tires whether nylon, rayon, or any of the materials used in that type of tire construction tend to flatten out on the underside that supports the weight of the truck for a period of time. Newer tires with radial ply construction still do this, but to a much lesser degree due to flexibility in design. Older tires of the bias construction will attempt to "round out" when used, but are never as smooth as the newer radial ply tires.

One thing to note is that radial tires have more woller or squiggle when driven that some drivers took a while to get used to. There is much more flex in the sidewall and this is the leading factor. One does get used to them quickly and no truck that I know of is factory equipt with bias ply tires when sold new in this country. In fact, most if not all US manufactures of tires no longer offer new bias ply truck tires in their product lines. They can be bought, but will be produced overseas and sold in this country under a few different names.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes Rob, I know what you are talking about. It all makes sense to me. I just have one more question about tires for these trucks then I will let the subject rest. What air pressures should be ran in these B61's ? I down loaded from Bridgestone Tires specs, and they showed air pressures should be between 70 & 80 lbs. for radials. Am I in the ballpark yet?

Thanking You!!!

mike

Yes Rob, I know what you are talking about. It all makes sense to me. I just have one more question about tires for these trucks then I will let the subject rest. What air pressures should be ran in these B61's ? I down loaded from Bridgestone Tires specs, and they showed air pressures should be between 70 & 80 lbs. for radials. Am I in the ballpark yet?

Thanking You!!!

mike

Personally, I run 80 psi in the tires. 50 to 60 psi could ride better, but you could stand a chance of "bruising" a sidewall as the wall will not be as stiff in use. 100 psi with no load on the truck tends to bounce too easily, (my opinion). In a truck that is designed in later years, this is not much of a problem. The older trucks such as B model Macks, were not designed for radial tires, and have much stiffer spring rates for load carrying capacity. Of course your back pays for this in the long run!

Rob

I got my Yokohama's for $250 ea, then $50 ea for a tubeless rim. Best thing I could have done for it as I use my truck all summer and I'm not worried about "looking" original(as some guys want for their trucks). I run about 70 psi all around and it drives smooth and nary a wiggle in the wheel at 65 mph.

Larry

• 3 months later...