Can splines on a shaft be 'redone'?

The L-O-N-G shaft from the flywheel to the rear of my tractor has worn out splines on the flywheel end. $400+ for new one. Anybody here know of a shop that can put new splines on the end?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

most machine shops should be able to they build it up with weld and then machine them back down however I have had whole splines fatigue and drop of were the weld was

when you say tractor is that a prime mover or a farm tractor ?

for $400.00 I would just get a new shaft

Paul

are you talking about the pto shaft on a farm tractor? if so i would be nervous about resplining because as Paul mentioned it could fail just behind the end of the respline due to improper tempering once welded. try the wrecking yards for a better one.

Unless you have a shop that can weld it up, machine it and re heat treat it don't do it.

Try a drive shaft shop. May be a generic PTO shaft will fit or the proper end, spliced with machined flats and a collar to fit them together.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

most machine shops should be able to they build it up with weld and then machine them back down however I have had whole splines fatigue and drop of were the weld was

when you say tractor is that a prime mover or a farm tractor ?

for $400.00 I would just get a new shaft

Paul

farm tractor. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.... machine shop would probably want a couple hundred at least... not worth it?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.