replacing turbo oil line.

macattack

need to replace my oil line from my turbo to the top of the oil filter housing.

does the hose have a special connection at the oil filter housing?

the reason i ask is i quickly tried to take it off at the housing but damn dont know if it a special fitting or i am just weak. could not get it to move.

ran out of time, but gonna try again tommorrow and see whats up.

any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

got a chance to take a better look.

its not a swivel at the housing end. i got some nut blaster on it to see if it helps to loosen that up.

she is dam tight. anybody else turbo oil line that tight at the filter housing??

i am afraid i will pull the threads out or break something.

I just replaced mine and it is not a normal JIC end like the old ones. I had to get one from Redhead in Stoon. I thought both ends swiveled but I can't remember for sure. It was a pain to get at and I thought the fitting came out of the housing and then I took it apart at the vice. this is on the 97 427

I'm guessing the fitting in the pic has no swivel. Looks to be a replaceable style. You need to remove the other end first, that will allow the whole hose to rotate to get that end out(in the pic). Looks like 1/8" npt.

You should be able to just buy some #4? hose(should be stamped on fitting) and just replace it. Only takes a few minutes. Hold on to the sleeve part in vise and unscrew the hex portion. Then unscrew the sleeve holding onto the hose. Cut a new piece of hose and reverse it. Screw the sleeve on til you can see the hose just come to the thread part. Then carefully screw in the hex part until tight.

If you are replacing it, just cut the hose and use a deep socket to unscrew the fitting. You will get a better grip on it. You could wave a little propane torch around it. Might loosen it up enough.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 1 year later...

I a messing with one today looks like I am going to remove the intake on the back so I can get at it.  I worked for several hours trying to get it loose with no luck.  Mine was rounded off also so I took a old wrench and tried welding it to the nut.  On so tight it ripped some of the metal off the nut.  I figured that the heat would lossen it but nothin.  Got to go buy a 12 pt 10mm thin wall to get the intake bolts off.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 3 years later...
On 4/6/2017 at 1:03 AM, thomastractorsvc said:

I a messing with one today looks like I am going to remove the intake on the back so I can get at it.  I worked for several hours trying to get it loose with no luck.  Mine was rounded off also so I took a old wrench and tried welding it to the nut.  On so tight it ripped some of the metal off the nut.  I figured that the heat would lossen it but nothin.  Got to go buy a 12 pt 10mm thin wall to get the intake bolts off.

I'm at the same point. The fitting rounded off and there's such minimal room to work I think I'm to the point of needing to take the intake manifold off the back. Im worried to cut the hose like some suggested and risk metal filings fall into the oil galley while trying to remove the damaged firing, it does look like a 2 piece fitting but I'm still going to have a issue getting the 2nd piece off that threads into the filter housing. 

Cut the hose or the fitting (don't forget if trying to unscrew the collar over the hose it's left hand thread I think ) then get a 6 point socket on an extension to get the rest of the fitting out. If you're worried about filings ?  crank the engine over a second or two. What little is in there will pump out.