Trailer Tie Downs

farmer52

I tried to post an update to an old topic but was unable to do so. Here is the original link starting with page 8.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/31022-great-dane-pup-trailer/page-8

I am getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a tie down system for my Great Dane trailer. Since I am getting a goof cart I need to strap it down somehow or just let it bounce around in the trailer. I reread all the suggestions and thanks to everyone for your comments. I am shying away from vertical e-tracks for the simple reason I want to anchor low. With that said, i am thinking to mount horizontal e-tracks (or maybe L-tracks) at the bottom of the side boards rather than the floor. Also mount an 8' track across the front at the drop. I am not ruling out vertical tracks for miscellaneous securement. Comments and/or suggestions? Thanks!

Mark - US Cargo Control appears to have the best selection and prices. However I am going to wait until MATS and see if anyone has any deals.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

buy this and mount on the wall just high enough to attach the clips put on all four corners of where you are going to park the cart

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Trailer-Products/E-Track-Straps-Tie-Downs/E-Track-2-Horizontal-Galvanized-Box-4

Or if it was me I would use this and some HF ratchet straps and be all set for under $30

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Search?search=%284+pack%29+Stainless+Steel+Flush&x=30&y=10

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

buy this and mount on the wall just high enough to attach the clips put on all four corners of where you are going to park the cart

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Trailer-Products/E-Track-Straps-Tie-Downs/E-Track-2-Horizontal-Galvanized-Box-4

Or if it was me I would use this and some HF ratchet straps and be all set for under $30

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Search?search=%284+pack%29+Stainless+Steel+Flush&x=30&y=10

Great minds think alike. I am leaning toward the e-track but the L-track looks interesting too.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Black-Painted-L-Track/Anchor-Point-Tie-Down-Kit-8pc-w-2-Track

Ken

One of my old friends with plenty of experience with cars in enclosed trailers told me to always keep the straps parallel so if one comes loose the car won't end up against the sidewall.

David,

What do you mean "parallel"? And how does one tie down various sized vehicles/items?

Ken

Ken, All four straps in two parallel lines. As opposed to the straps pulling on an angle toward the sides. I've noticed that's how they usually are on car hauling trailers.

Thanks David. How do you transport/tie down "orange"?

How does one accommodate various widths of vehicles (cart, tractor, etc.)? And I would prefer to keep the floor "clean" of D-rings or E-tracks. Recessed D-rings will require counterboring the floor.

Ken

Ken,sorry I didn't get back to you sooner,i just saw the post! I like the idea of d-rings,but not in the floor,the original set-up you posted from U.S cargo will also work,but what about the recessed d-rings in the deck/drop? that is where I ran my 2 d-rings in the moving van,the deck provides a natural "stop" against forward motion,and a couple good ratchet straps secure the rear-ward motion. I have loaded something as large as an Oliver Super 88 with this method with no problems whatsoever.....................let me know what else you come up with ok?.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark,

As soon as the temperature gets warmer (if it ever does) I am going to take a closer look at the drop area. I was originally thinking of attaching an E-track or L-track in that area the width of the trailer. That would allow "parallel" tie down in the front. I may or may not use the drop as a "front stop". As for the rear, I thought about attaching an E-track or L-track to the floor across the rear of the trailer. But that would be something I would need to "drive" over when loading/unloading and also collect dirt.

BTW, I am considering the purchase of Discount Ramps EZ-RIZER 12' ramps (MF2-14414-EZ-UTV).

Oh the curse of being an engineer and a cheap one too. :whistling:

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Next week I am going to MATS and see if anyone is selling tie down "stuff". I checked the front drop area and I only have 4" between the "bumper" boards so a standard E-track (5" wide) will not work. My other option is a L-track. Seriously thinking of buying these single point tie downs and install along the sides (USCC $20 for 4).

BTW, I bought a pair of folding ramps from Discount Ramps - Big Boy EZ Rizer 12' long.

post-3289-0-75428000-1426801581_thumb.jp

Ken

• 1 month later...

Installed six (6) of eight L-type tie downs today. Spaced them about 6' apart on each side starting just inside the rear door. Two (2) more to install in the lower front drop area. Going to anchor them with wood screws. Since they are in front, don't need that much strength. These tie downs will not hold a large tractor or Mack truck but should hold the goof cart, garden tractor, or similar size vehicle.

post-3289-0-42184000-1431476817_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-34232500-1431476845_thumb.jp

Ken