What Do You Carry In Your Truck When On Trips:

QUOTE(other dog @ Jun 22 2008, 10:25 AM) post_snapback.gifWe used to carry spare tires,a jack,and lug wrench back when everything had Dayton wheels. We'd get 10 dollars extra on our paycheck everytime we changed a flat. Hard to do anything now with Budd wheels,and we had a lot of trailers dropped at different places and the spare tires got stolen on a regular basis.

I've got a toolkit made up for my "on road" adventures to start next year. It includes a roll of 3/4" air line to support my 1" drive CP wrench, a small air powered bottle jack, (20 ton) and a set of sockets to service these type(s) of problems, plus a good pipe for lifting/leverage. I figger the 50' line will be long enough to reach anything I need to on the side of the road via a service port into one of the air receivers on the truck, or trailer. With proper adapters, this line will be reduced to fit 3/8" air line to support the other air tools that are also incorporated into this kit. I've also got flares, flags, strobes, etc... to cover being seen at night. All of this "stuff" readily fits into a 18"HX24"LX12"D treadplate steel box that each truck could have. At 47 pounds ready to travel, I can mount and lock it onto most any truck that I am going to drive and readily transfer it to another. All of my trucks have air brakes so if the engine doesn't run, I'm still SOL!

I can't speak from personal experience with tire troubles on the road, but next year when I start to participate in distant shows and such, I don't want to be stranded because of something like this. Always have ran good tires without compromise, but failures still happen.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

QUOTE(other dog @ Jun 22 2008, 10:25 AM) post_snapback.gifWe used to carry spare tires,a jack,and lug wrench back when everything had Dayton wheels. We'd get 10 dollars extra on our paycheck everytime we changed a flat. Hard to do anything now with Budd wheels,and we had a lot of trailers dropped at different places and the spare tires got stolen on a regular basis.

I've got a toolkit made up for my "on road" adventures to start next year. It includes a roll of 3/4" air line to support my 1" drive CP wrench, a small air powered bottle jack, (20 ton) and a set of sockets to service these type(s) of problems, plus a good pipe for lifting/leverage. I figger the 50' line will be long enough to reach anything I need to on the side of the road via a service port into one of the air receivers on the truck, or trailer. With proper adapters, this line will be reduced to fit 3/8" air line to support the other air tools that are also incorporated into this kit. I've also got flares, flags, strobes, etc... to cover being seen at night. All of this "stuff" readily fits into a 18"HX24"LX12"D treadplate steel box that each truck could have. At 47 pounds ready to travel, I can mount and lock it onto most any truck that I am going to drive and readily transfer it to another. All of my trucks have air brakes so if the engine doesn't run, I'm still SOL!

I can't speak from personal experience with tire troubles on the road, but next year when I start to participate in distant shows and such, I don't want to be stranded because of something like this. Always have ran good tires without compromise, but failures still happen.

Rob

I usually carry about 12-24" of the various air hose sizes, quick-connect fittings for the nylon type hose, one extra heavy rubber air can hose, one of each light used on the trailer and truck except for headlights. tape, hand tools. spare tire is usually tied underneath on the trailer, the faint of heart aint getting it out. fluke, torx, screwdrivers, hose clamps, zip ties.

both of the otr trucks here pack the same basic stuff, and the stuff particular to the trailers they usually pull. one gallon of engine oil, one gallon of 50/50 and usually one gallon of straight antifreeze. WD-40. enough fittings to bypass failure of an air ride system and continue on with the air ride working.

cc

I used to carry enough tools to overhaul a Cummins engine on the side of the road. Not to mention various spares. Once in Hammond La. as I coasted toward a traffic light, the light turned green and as I began to pick up the throttle, I realized that the truck wasn't pulling. As I cleared the intersection, there was a wide spot, so I steered the truck out of the road, popped the brake valve and swung down. When I looked under the truck, I saw that I had lost a pinion nut. I rolled under the truck on the drivers side shoved the drive shaft forward to clear the pinion, pulled it off the slip yoke end, and rolled out on the passenger side with the drive shaft. Uncle Bill Hamby, who was riding with me at the time, had just opened the door and was getting out, spoke up ( Son, if you are not careful, you are going to run over yourself, you had that drive shaft out before the truck stopped rolling.) A neat thing about this calamity, was the fact that I had stopped at the rear of an automotive repair center, When I finally found a pinion nut, I stuck their air hose out a rear window, coupled it to my 50 ft. hose and hammered the new nut on. Not every break down has a happy ending, but this one did. James

I carry a craftsman 130+ socket set

about 30+ diffrent wrenches

misc pliers,cutters,screwdrivers etc..

brake air hose fittings.

air hose to reach the rear of the trailer

hammers, etc..

The one thing I want to mount to the nose of the trailer is a spare tire carrier. My delema is that I have 24.5 budds on the tractor and 22.5 daytons on the dump trailer.what to I carry for a spare. my luck is what ever spare I carry will not be the correct one when a tire blows out. I lost a steer tire last year and that would have saved me a few hudred dollars if I had a spare.

I also dont have any more room on the rails of my tractor to install a 2nd tool box for the jack and blocks of wood. I need to relocate the air drier and then can fit another 3' tool box. If I traveled cross country I would have all the stuff in order. but I work localy

Trent

I usually carry about 12-24" of the various air hose sizes, quick-connect fittings for the nylon type hose, one extra heavy rubber air can hose, one of each light used on the trailer and truck except for headlights. tape, hand tools. spare tire is usually tied underneath on the trailer, the faint of heart aint getting it out. fluke, torx, screwdrivers, hose clamps, zip ties.

both of the otr trucks here pack the same basic stuff, and the stuff particular to the trailers they usually pull. one gallon of engine oil, one gallon of 50/50 and usually one gallon of straight antifreeze. WD-40. enough fittings to bypass failure of an air ride system and continue on with the air ride working.

cc

HI CC, I had not thought of spare pieces of hose and lines with fittings at all. I am planning to carry bulbs, and a spare lamp or two. This makes good, sound sense. I suppose a spare set of heater and radiator hoses would be prudent also but space constraints would probably be a limiting factor as to what actually is carried. Like you, I carry extra engine oil, and coolant on every trip in whatever I drive.

I built this tool kit up to be portable and be taken off of one truck, and installed onto another easily. It has three "keyhole" slot rails in the back, and mounting "buttons" that mount to each trucks frame. One fits the "buttons" into the slots, lets the toolbox slide down two inches and hang, and a chain welded to the lower backside of the box wraps up the inner side of the frame rail on the truck, and padlocks to the top backside of the toolbox. This will keep it on the truck unless someone has a set of boltcutters, or torch. All of the trucks I will drive are restored antiques, so I will not want them residing alongside of the road unattended very long.

My dropdeck trailer will have miscellaneous "dunnage" and/or "blocking", so I did not incorporate these type items.

I will also carry one spare tire on a "Budd" rim, and one on a "Dayton" style under the trailer in a rack. I'll probably use an inexpensive hand winch to drag a tire out of, and back into it's storage rack. this of course is hoping that I never need to use them.

The only flat tire I've ever had without a spare was in a company straight truck with a full deckload of lumber on. I blew the rt. front steer tire; (9.00X20) and had to walk nearly 1.5 miles to a farmhouse to call someone to help me out. The truck had no jack, tire, lugwrench, or even a cb radio! This was in 1980 near Litchfield, IL, on I-55, in the southbound lanes. It just happened to be in the area that was very sparse of population. Man was I pissed cause it was 97 degrees with matching humidity that day! These days, nearly everyone has a cell phone, but then, they weren't even heard of.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Wow....guess I'm a little "light" in the tool dept?

I do have a 3/4" set with breakerbar(takes care of tires), no jack on truck but two in trailer. 50ft air line, gal oil, (1) rachet strap, 50ft water hose(to fill my trailer tank when not at home), flares, safety triangles, small tool box with misc stuff in it, extra fuel filter.

Guess I'm pretty confident with my ol rig cause I drive it hundreds of miles(even state away) without too much thought. I did put all good stuff on it the first time around(tires, batteries, ect) so it's not a worry. No sense in short cutting when you plan on using it, though it's not a business I don't want to spend my weekends on the side of the road.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

sawed off side by side shotgun and a crowbar :lol:

yes, but true happiness is achieved with a "belt fed weapon".

Rob

Wow....guess I'm a little "light" in the tool dept?

I do have a 3/4" set with breakerbar(takes care of tires), no jack on truck but two in trailer. 50ft air line, gal oil, (1) rachet strap, 50ft water hose(to fill my trailer tank when not at home), flares, safety triangles, small tool box with misc stuff in it, extra fuel filter.

Guess I'm pretty confident with my ol rig cause I drive it hundreds of miles(even state away) without too much thought. I did put all good stuff on it the first time around(tires, batteries, ect) so it's not a worry. No sense in short cutting when you plan on using it, though it's not a business I don't want to spend my weekends on the side of the road.

No, not really Larry. You have got the "test of time" behind you which I will not at first. All of my trucks are currently is various stages of disrepair/restoration and upon completion it will be a lot of parts asked to work together again. I don't expect or anticipate problems, just want to be prepared for them.

Rob

Ya, true Rob. I was a little shaky the first year or so even though the truck was run occasionally previous to my buying it. I did put alot of new stuff in it in that time to make it reliable, though I've had a few little mishaps nothing catastrophic. One leaky fuel filter line and one broken oil line, both of which makes a REAL mess of truck/trailer, but she made it to/fro my destination.

Larry

Firstly, you must have water for your dog (yes, your faithful 4 legged mate). Also, your 3 red reflective breakdown triangles and I also carry vest AND waterproof, windproof parka which are dayglo lime colour with reflective strips. I've known so many people that have been wiped out by passing vehicles. Remember, safety is paramount. Then comes mozzie and fly repellent. Torch - yes.

Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

While driving "Ol' Number Eight" (Cummins 335), standard was a water pump and a set fo fan belts.

The water pump was the weak link and could go any time, taking fan/drive belts with it.

Of course tape, tools and electrical butt splices, pronged connectors, strippers, etc.

Seemed most issues were electrical rather than mechanical.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

yes, but true happiness is achieved with a "belt fed weapon".

Rob

...reminds me of the old joke about the guy that gets beaten up in the bar by a much bigger guy. After he beats the smaller guy terribly he tells him "that's judo,from Japan". A few days later the little guy goes back to the bar,and sure enough the big guy is there too,and beats him up again. Then he says "that's karate,from China". So a few days later the little guy goes back to the bar,and sure enough the big guy's there too.The little guy proceeds to beat him to an unconscious bloody pulp in the floor,and says to the bartender "when that s.o.b. comes to,tell him that was a crowbar from Sears and Roebuck" :lol:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I used to carry enough tools to overhaul a Cummins engine on the side of the road. Not to mention various spares. Once in Hammond La. as I coasted toward a traffic light, the light turned green and as I began to pick up the throttle, I realized that the truck wasn't pulling. As I cleared the intersection, there was a wide spot, so I steered the truck out of the road, popped the brake valve and swung down. When I looked under the truck, I saw that I had lost a pinion nut. I rolled under the truck on the drivers side shoved the drive shaft forward to clear the pinion, pulled it off the slip yoke end, and rolled out on the passenger side with the drive shaft. Uncle Bill Hamby, who was riding with me at the time, had just opened the door and was getting out, spoke up ( Son, if you are not careful, you are going to run over yourself, you had that drive shaft out before the truck stopped rolling.) A neat thing about this calamity, was the fact that I had stopped at the rear of an automotive repair center, When I finally found a pinion nut, I stuck their air hose out a rear window, coupled it to my 50 ft. hose and hammered the new nut on. Not every break down has a happy ending, but this one did. James

I used to carry a lot more tools than i do now,but still carry a few wrenches,sockets,screwdrivers,hammer,nails,oil,sardines and crackers,antifreeze,spare fan belt, can of spam,filter wrench,windshield washer fluid,air hose to hook to gladhand,triangles,flashlight,coveralls,fuses,bulbs,kit to plug tires (which i've never had any luck with!), first aid kit in case I hurt myself trying to plug a tire,airline fittings,duct tape-the usual stuff. I probably forgot something-when I open either side box I have to jump back,so stuff won't fall out on top of me :lol:

One of my favorite lines from my Uncle. His 3 boys were all tough kids, and never backed down from a fight.

"Don't bring anything to a fight you can't EAT"

This was in a time when fists were all you needed! Unlike today.

Larry

I'm a roadside repair moron -

I've always carried basic tools for the vehicle I'm driving.

Even my cars, motorcycles and light trucks and such.

Preventative maintenance has proven extremely valuable. too.

However, I really do like being prepared for trouble.

The single most important tool I carry has always been the credit card!

You can buy your way out of a lot of mechanical jams.

The key is deciding what it's really worth to you.

And can you make up the cost before the next predictable repair emergency?

People would actually pay good money to watch me try to use tools under a vehicle.

It's not a pretty sight.

Besides - I can usually make a little problem into a bigger one very quickly.

So my time is better spent resting up for the next leg of the trip.

Sounds lazy, and it might be. But I have broken a lot of stuff in my time by trying to fix something.

Seriously -

I have a lot of respect for all those drivers & owners who can truly repair their trucks on the side of the road.

They are few and far between.

There are some fantastic true stories about ingenious repairs and the use of different materials

to solve emergency situations. I think that creative talent is what really makes a driver a DRIVER.

My own OTR experience was as a company driver and mostly in new equipment.

Not too exciting from a breakdown perspective.

Now with the old trucks as a hobby, I don't take chances. I know those trucks inside and out.

And I (yes, even I) would be pretty comfortable fixing it. (I can see the mechanics laughing now)

Still I carry the credit card and a telephone. Just in case.

Paul Van Scott

I carry those too. New trucks are about the same as new cars to me,there's a lot of stuff you can't fix anymore,with all the electronics and computers-unless you're a rocket scientist or something and drive a truck for a hobby.

I do carry a screwdriver in the bed of the Ranger to open the tailgate-the latch handle is PLASTIC,and broke a long time ago,so I just stick a screwdriver in the hole and pry the little thingamabob up to release it :blink:

One of my favorite lines from my Uncle. His 3 boys were all tough kids, and never backed down from a fight.

"Don't bring anything to a fight you can't EAT"

This was in a time when fists were all you needed! Unlike today.

this is true-when I was a kid,and even 'til I was grown,somebody might have an argument and get to scrapping today and be friends tomorrow. Now you're always hearing of people arguing,and if they're not already packing heat one or the other goes home and gets a gun. It's crazy-I knew a man in Cumberland co. who was stabbed to death,arguing over a loaf of bread! And that's true.

Firstly, you must have water for your dog (yes, your faithful 4 legged mate). Also, your 3 red reflective breakdown triangles and I also carry vest AND waterproof, windproof parka which are dayglo lime colour with reflective strips. I've known so many people that have been wiped out by passing vehicles. Remember, safety is paramount. Then comes mozzie and fly repellent. Torch - yes.

Rod.

mozzie?.. :idunno:

Mosquito http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito

Absolute bastards! Carry LOTS of viruses.

Biggest ones I ever saw were in Russia. Fair dinkum, you could almost throw a saddle on them and ride them home.

oh...dinkum?.. wtf?!! I speak fluent Canadian,every time you say something just say "eh?" at the end,but i'm still tryng to learn Australian.

• 2 weeks later...
oh...dinkum?.. wtf?!! I speak fluent Canadian,every time you say something just say "eh?" at the end,but i'm still tryng to learn Australian.

Hi all, i carry spare alternator, oil, all tools to rebuild,belts, hoses, water,colt 45, chain, drag link so if it poops its selfs in a big way another road train can pull it into the next town, mozzie repellant doesnt work to well out here besides we gotta watch out for snakes, spiders etc when we go to the dunny on the side of the road, then you have march flys, blow flys ants, lizards wild pigs,crocodiles rite up north so you have plenty of incentive to get that truck moving again, then you got the heat a dry 50 degree c sometimes.

its all fun tho. :rolleyes :D

regards Grant