Still born MACK Concept.

41chevy

Pretty cool concept. I believe this was the Feds were going to revitalize the freight rail system.

http://www.industrialdesignserved.com/gallery/Mack-Truck-Concept-Model/729106

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Interesting conception for the future on my mind.

Difficult to imagine it working in real nowadays but time goes by very fast.

Sometimes much faster than we would like.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Looks like not the first time the Truck/Train thing has been tried,i don't know what the hell this thing was supposed be!.............................................Mark

Evans Auto Rail. Moved bombs and other explosives in the munitions factories during WWII

6349188698_33d5558fd0_b.jpg

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was going to say that sounds like a train and we all know how that whole idea went. Rail is efficient but when you need fast you don't go rail. The trucking industry and interstate highway system made the rail somewhat obsolete I guess. The integrated truck/trailer concept has been around for decades. Let's see 53'+cab/drive get around the city. I think the turning radius would be a challenge.

I see it being practical in Japan or parts of Europe, where road travel for most any truck is problematic. Here in the U.S.A. maybe California with all the CARB laws.

It soeds use the MAGLEV system taht was developed in the U.S.A by General Dynamics, Grumman Systems and the USDept of transportation in the early 70's . The Feds cancelled the program and sold the technology to Japan. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

That's something Paul! I looked for info on this but couldn't find anything,i never heard of this before............learn something new everyday! thanks for posting this!.........................

A lot of this type of info I picked up working as a volenteer with the director Bill "lee" Atwater at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in the 80's.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I see it being practical in Japan or parts of Europe, where road travel for most any truck is problematic. Here in the U.S.A. maybe California with all the CARB laws.

It soeds use the MAGLEV system that was developed in the U.S.A by General Dynamics, Grumman Systems and the USDept of transportation in the early 70's . The Feds cancelled the program and sold the technology to Japan. Paul

With respect, MAGLEV was not developed by General Dynamics, Grumman or the the US Dept of transportation.

The pioneer of MAGLEV, dating back to a 1934 patent, is Germany's Transrapid (http://www.transrapid.de/cgi-tdb/en/basics.prg), a joint venture between Siemens and ThyssenKrupp.

Anyway, that concept model was developed by Volvo in Europe (and note the Volvo "V" in the grille).

Developed was a poor word choice. Boeing and Grumman bid in 1968 do build prototypes of MAGLEV, LIM and TACV units. Grummans won the contract and took General Dynamics Atomic Division to develop Linear Induction Motor Propulsion System and Grummans worked on the Trach Air Cushion System with Krauss Maffei and a Magnetic levitation system using a lot of German British Rail Systems technology. The Maglev system was cancelled in 1972. Grummans prototype was sent to the High Speed Test Center in Pueblo Colarado. It was never fully tested. The Garret Jet powered LIM unit ran the track at over 180mph. The Rohr Industries won the contract for the UTACV and sent a test unit to Colorado in 1974 the following year the Federal monies ran out. The Garret unit was scraped, the Grumman unit and drawings were sent to Japan by the Feds. The Rohr UTACV unit designs are running in Asia as airport links and Duke University has small 12 passenger inter campus shuttles.

The Grumman unit was very familiar to me as I worked with Manufacturing Engineering to make proto tooling and parts for its hydraulic and pneumatic systems.. I also was at the unveiling at Grummans Bethpage of the test unit and was at Colorado for the delivery. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Short trains can be moved by trucks with "high rail" rail wheel conversions. Typically they're Western Star or Peterbuilt trucks converted by Brandt in Canada with a 600 HP engine and automatic transmission. The track is usually narrowed to put the drive tires on the rail, and they're ballasted with a heavy bed and often a big air compressor to the legal weight limit. They can pull up to 10 loaded cars, but not very fast!