Just starting out.

I am interested in restoring an antique Mack to use as a weekend drive/show truck. That said, the more research I do the less I find out I know about these trucks. What I'm looking for are resources to do research. Right now I don't know the difference between models and engines options but I know what I like.. This site has been helpful, but a lot of the comments just go over my head because in not familiar enough with Mack trucks yet. Any suggestion on where to look would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of the style of truck that I love.

just no idea what it is?

post-12908-0-75453300-1422984601_thumb.p

Welcome to the DOGHOUSE!!!

From that angle it looks like an A model produced from about 1950 to 1954..

If it is just that size you are looking for there are probably more B ('55 to '70) and R ('65 to '80) models and parts available. Power options will depend on how far from home you want to go and how fast you want to get there.. The old gas jobs usually only top out at 50 MPH!!

Next is what are your restoration / Refurbrushment skills?? It is almost always cheaper to buy one already reworked and roadworthy rather than do a resto job..

Keep your eyes peeled here in the for sale section, Classified ads in Wheels of Time and Vintage Truck magazines, both of which are available at Tractor Supply, Fleabay, Craigs list, Truck Paper, and the other sale listings sites.

It will also help if finish you profile so we know where you are?? That way the word of mouth on here will also help.

• Like 2

Brocky

Thanks Everyone for the input,

As far as refurbishment I have the ability to do most of the work myself, certainly the body and basic mechanical work. I'd probably draw the line at rebuilding the engine or tranny. I'd rather find a restored truck, but money is always a factor.

For driving it, local around town stuff, maybe local parades and shows. I'd be surprised if I ever needed to go more that 50 miles from home with it, (maybe for a show).

The smaller medium duty trucks are where I think id like to start looking (id like to be able to get the thing into my barn without raising the roof). From the research I've done the A or E style truck seem to be my preference for style and size, the Bs are nice but look to me to be a larger truck.

My understanding is that the "magnadyne" is the gas engine and the "thermodyne" is the diesel, id love to hear opinions on the pros & cons of both in this age of truck and for what I plan to do with it. (I have a feeling that question could be the beginning of an argument.) What is the difference between the A20 & A30, 40, 50. is that an engine designation, (like HP), or body style (like med duty, dual drive, extended frame, etc) ?

Is there a proper place in the forums to post links to other websites if I find a good piece of information?

Edited by John C

Magnadyne is a 291 c.i or a 331 c.i. gas engine of about 120 to 130 h.p. at best road speed is at best 47 to 53 m.p.h.. One thing to consider on a gasser is long term the Ethanol based fuel will damage the cast and rubber parts if the fuel system. Engine oil wise you need to run a zinc additive for cam and lifter life.

That said a B model is close in size to the A model.

Go into the WIKI Tab like Thomastractorsvc suggested and look over the brochures, photos and specs on the different models. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

John C I have a 1950 Mack A-51T it was built with the Mack 510 Diesel I plan to replace the 510 with a C-180 Cummins as I have a good running one and they are from same era. Parts for the 510 Diesel are hard to find.The higher the number = higher weight rating. A-55 was the largest A-Model built it came with the 672 Lanova Mack Diesel maybe the 743 Cummins of the era not sure on that. Its hood was longer than the A-50 Series.I always heard the saying about A-Models Too light for heavy work and too heavy for light work. I do not believe it but the A-Model is stuck with it. They are a nice looking truck. Joe D.