T2100 Transmission

Mr Black

Hi, does anyone know if the T2100 has the same issues as the T2090?

I have a chance to pick one up and I think it would suit what we use the particular truck for but am still haunted by the problems of the T2090 the truck was originally fitted with.

I am told it is the same case as the T2090 so with some luck the original drive shaft can go back on.

Any help would be appreciated before I commit. Would be good to ditch the Eaton and fit the gold dog again!!

Don't count my answer as a perfect one since I have never put my hands on both of them.

But from what I have figured out from the description T2090 and T2100 seem to me as mostly the same units with one exception.

T2090 is really a 10 speed but 2 gears have about the same ratio. So Mack called it "9 speed".

T2100 has almost the same structure but with slightly different ratios, 5th and 6th speeds are different. So there are "real" 10 speeds with a bit shorter steps than T2090.

This means those boxes have the same synchro, bearings, housing and so on.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Vlad

post-3971-0-67881400-1422818420_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-87881900-1422818436_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-77165800-1422818452_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-13182200-1422818465_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Don't count my answer as a perfect one since I have never put my hands on both of them.

But from what I have figured out from the description T2090 and T2100 seem to me as mostly the same units with one exception.

T2090 is really a 10 speed but 2 gears have about the same ratio. So Mack called it "9 speed".

T2100 has almost the same structure but with slightly different ratios, 5th and 6th speeds are different. So there are "real" 10 speeds with a bit shorter steps than T2090.

This means those boxes have the same synchro, bearings, housing and so on.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Vlad

Vlad, thank you for this - the attachments have been really helpful.

I think you are right in that they are probably the same beast with different ratios.

I might give it a miss as I don't want to re-live the T2090 experience. Need to find a 12 speed, but it is hard to get your hands on one in Australia. They rarely come for sale and are sold in no time.

I heard alot about issues with T2090 although most the talks concerned the synchro and that fever might be corrected using a new style synchro set.

I myself have two T2090 in two R models. Both have issues, one with the synchro and the other has the shift clutches worn out (grinds when shift). I hope to make a good one of those two because it's much more hard to put hands on anything off Mack in Russia :)

My Macks are hobby though.

I heard alot about issues with T2090 although most the talks concerned the synchro and that fever might be corrected using a new style synchro set.

I myself have two T2090 in two R models. Both have issues, one with the synchro and the other has the shift clutches worn out (grinds when shift). I hope to make a good one of those two because it's much more hard to put hands on anything off Mack in Russia :)

My Macks are hobby though.

Awesome hobby Vlad. Are there many old Macks in Russia?

Yea. I would say... about 20-50 R's/DM's (maybe 10-?) all over the 170 million people country, 10-20 MH's, 10-20 CH's and some hundreds of Visions. One Cruiseliner is showed out the other day (better to say the other year :))

I'm pretty shure none of B's and RW's and so on... Oh, yea! Some other old pieces of junk pointed out below my avatar :banana:

Yea. I would say... about 20-50 R's/DM's (maybe 10-?) all over the 170 million people country, 10-20 MH's, 10-20 CH's and some hundreds of Visions. One Cruiseliner is showed out the other day (better to say the other year :))

I'm pretty shure none of B's and RW's and so on... Oh, yea! Some other old pieces of junk pointed out below my avatar :banana:

Great collection

• Like 1

Mack has (had-?) two lines of three-countershaft trannies - T200 and TR-107.

They are different.

When we talk about T2090 and T2100 we say 9 speed and 10 speed. There are also T2130 13spd, T2180 18spd and the others.

But "12 speed" is TRTX-1070, of the different type. There's TRD-1070 wich is 10 speed and triple countershaft but isn't a T-2100.

So hasn't issues T2100 related.

Thanks for clearing that up Vlad. So mine is the Trd-1070. That's good to know.

Mr Black, there is a 12 speed for sale here in Perth. They want $5000 for it, comes with pto pump. Seems a bit pricey to me, but maybe that's what they are going for.