Cold Weather Start up

Monk31

I live in Massachusetts 1984 DM 688sx it has been very cold here after not running truck for about 3 weeks my truck will not turn over and fire up I have 3 12volt battery's hooked up any suggestions to getting this truck to get over the hump and fire up?

Are your batteries fully charged? If so, does the starter engage with the flywheel? Engine coolant heater? If no coolant heater, place a heat lamp under the oil pan to heat the oil. Place plywood or tarps around the front and sides of the truck to keep the heat under the engine. A couple light bulbs in the engine compartment will help too.

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Plug in the heater and after an hour the block should feel warm near the heater. You may need to let it plugged in overnight.

You may want to pour some winter fuel additive in the fuel tank so when you get it started the additive will get mixed with the fuel.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

several more tricks are as follows: remove batteries and bring into a warm area and charge (remember no sparks around charging batteries) once charged load test to see if you have a weak one or three. then recharge if good. of engine is clean I often use a propane weed burner, lay it on the ground near the front of the oil pan and close the hood to retain heat. If the wind is blowing use plywood or such to block the wind, now leave a buddy with the weed burner (and fire extinguisher) go to area where batteries are charging and grab them by the time you get them installed the truck should start. also if the truck has a hand primmer on the filters or pump, pump up the fuel system then try starting.

• Like 1

from reading what is going on I am curious as to what is going on. Is the truck turning over, just slowly and not starting? If that is the case, charge the battery's or jump start after you plug it in for a couple hours. If you cant plug it in or don't think the block heater works take a torpedo heater or space heater and slide it up underneath to warm the engine just make sure it wont burn anything or start a fire.

I have a small 35000 propane torpedo heater that works good for warming cold starting engines. I paid about $80 for it 14 years ago, I also have a tarp that I can drape over an engine to keep heat in, but if the truck had snow around it I would keep the hood closed and place under the bumper pointed towards the oil pan, just make sure that it wont burn or melt something. After about 20 minutes I am sure everything should be warm enough to try a start.

Once you get it going I would check to see if the block heater functions and if not replace it, and I would park closer to an outlet to plug it in next time if you can.

post-10018-0-79933000-1422546692.jpg

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

It is turning over slowly and not starting I am going to use a generator to plug it in and buy a torpedo heater tomorrow and charge batteries Thank you for all the support and advice. This is my first truck and and winter with it. I will let everyone know how i make out.

My neighbor told me a story about a guy at his old work that used a torpedo heater to warm up the radiator on a loader and melted the AC condenser and some of the fins of the radiator had it sitting on the counter balance weights pushed up against the grill. When he was asked why he did that he stated that he saw the mechanic use it under the truck to help with starting so since the loader did not have under the engine access had a hydro and fuel tanks with skid plate he thought heating through the radiator would be ok but the only place to set it so it did not fall off was up tight.

Up in Northern Maine when I was a kid used to have hoses plumbed into the pick up and hoses on machine and would be able to circulate coolant through the skidder, loader or tractor and had welding cable for jumper cables if needed about 15 minutes on the hoses and the equipment usually started, used to have the old card board grill bra!

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."