Factory stripes on 78 Valueliner

I'm building a model of the truck attached but have got a bit hung up on the paint scheme because I don't know if the stripes continue across the back of the cab or not. I've searched for other factory striped Macks from this era looking for precedent but I only found a clear rear view of this U model to go on and it just seems to complicate things! If the stripes don't go right across then I'd have to figure out where black meets yellow!

It would just be great if someone out there knows exactly how this scheme went or can at least give their ten cents worth on what I should do because the sides are all masked up ready to go!

post-10557-0-43816500-1421705308_thumb.j

post-10557-0-14543400-1421705346_thumb.j

The only time I seen this paint scheme was on the 1979 (I believe) Mack calendar. They used the scheme on the Valueliner (pictured), Cruiseliner & Superliner. The 3 of them were together on the Jan page & each was seen throughout the year. I'm not saying the scheme was not availble for order but it was a very sharp scheme to never show up anyplace else. Not that this info helps you but if I had to guess I'd say the scheme went across the back just as it is or may have ended several inches after turning around the back panel as some others did.

Got me thinking... I believe it was the 1978, not 1979 calendar. I didn't think about it when you mentioned 78 in your initial post.

Hopefully Al sees this. (Member Name: 57 BCR)

I think his friend had a R700 painted like this. As a kid I saw it running past my house for years. A real head turner for a dump truck.

Personally I like when the stripes go around the rear of the cab. When they stop it looks unfinished in my opinion. I painted a 1/87 scale Mack into these colors for display on my train layout. Let's see some pics of your model...

Wow , very nice , who makes the western kit? Nice job on the details ... I see straight frame rails just like the real thing...not a lot of stock parts in your build!

Thanks. I'm glad you noticed those details. I thought you might have recognised it though. Most of the resin is the stuff I developed for the RS700L build based on all those photos you kindly sent me of your truck a few years back. The hood is an entirely new vacform.

Hello!

Congratulations on your truck model! Lots of good stuff that could be used on a Superliner I, too - like the radiator!

As for the stripes - I see you have a day cab panel on your truck, so why don't you paint the fancy kink just like in the junkyard photo you posted?

If you want to do it simpler just continue the stripes straight, or just end them at the cab back panel edge - I believe the boundary of the black colour would just continue straight on.

Good luck with your build and have a nice day

Paweł

I agree. Since you have to combine at least two colors on the back wall it would be much nicer (and easier!) to complete the strips around.

The model is looking too promisable.

What are the frame rails? Scratch built?

Am I not wrong if say you make it in 1:25?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks. I'm glad you noticed those details. I thought you might have recognised it though. Most of the resin is the stuff I developed for the RS700L build based on all those photos you kindly sent me of your truck a few years back. The hood is an entirely new vacform.

That's why I was asking!!!.....hello friend. I did not know this was you! LOL...truck looks great. All those parts looked like something I have seen before was wondering if you had bought a kit From someone but I guess you went right to the source... The details were all there

I started building my western you sent me a few years ago But got held up after moving. I also want to get the correct frame for it.

Keep the pics coming!

The model is 1:25 and the frames are scratch from 1mm styrene sheet. I agree that it would look better to continue the stripes butI'd like to mimic what they did on the real thing. Might be a bit awkward masking across the panel pressings though. I noticed a lot of details that are the same as the Superliner so I've made some silicone molds of some of the parts so I don't have to make them again from scratch If/when I ever do a Superliner model.

I'd like to see that Western R done ,Lmackattack. Sounds a bit as though your model output is similar to mine. I started the Valueliner about 3 years ago! too many projects , not enough time!