Two sticks in older Macks

tippatone

First let me start by stating I am a rookie driver so I'm brand new to most of this stuff....in the older RD models I noticed two gear sticks....can one of you veterans please explain what the hell this is about....I almost crapped my pants...very intimidating....

yep. Simple transmission. In low you only use first gear then you shift up to the high side and go through the rest of the gears.

Thanks a lot that clear things up a great deal...how you like the RD??? I was in love with the Granite...but fell in love with the RD....

RD is a tough old truck and will do great with anything you throw at it. It's just loud and has a little rough of a ride.

In my opinion the R model was one of the best if not the best mack ever built.

I have fond memories of the older RDs like late 80s early 90s...I'm from NYC so we have these oil tankers delivering oil to heat our buildings...we used to have a company Castle...That delivery man was a hero to me...the way he unloaded that oil and drove that tanker....awesome

The two sticks were fun to drive.

To start off the line I used to make sure the compound was in neutral, put the main box in first and then you could put the compound in low and hit the throttle. Up shift and down shift without ever using the clutch.

It used to freak people out when I ran through the gears in reverse.

• Like 1

The two sticks were fun to drive.

To start off the line I used to make sure the compound was in neutral, put the main box in first and then you could put the compound in low and hit the throttle. Up shift and down shift without ever using the clutch.

It used to freak people out when I ran through the gears in reverse.

Hmmm....interesting. So you can go in reverse in 3rd gear?

First, I own a chain drive (started it ALL, the DNA of Mack) and a B model (awesome styling, indestructible - they are timeless classics), but the R model and its sibling the RD (a heavier duty version) were probably the greatest all-around Macks of all time. Think about it - why do they still look great almost fifty years later and why did the production run go forty years straight??! A modern-day classic. Anyway, that's my two cents..

Some twin sticks are a five and a four, some a five and a three, some a five and a two speed. I learned on a 69 R model with a ten speed, reverse had a high and a low, and you could just shift through the five speeds straight, and use the aux. stick like a high and low. To do it right, I started in 1-low, and shifted every half gear -1 to 10 in about a tenth of a mile, from zero to 20 in about six seconds, quick double clutch or no clutch at all.

Don't worry,drive it a few days and you'll be right at home. Like I said the other day, every one of us was green once. As for the R or RD, look for a nice one, and you'll be happy in the long run. They are easy to work on, parts are everywhere, and many are affordable (example, new Mack windshield for an R is $125). And... before the other guys say it, "post pictures" when you get it.

Crazy....that sounds awesome

First let me start by stating I am a rookie driver so I'm brand new to most of this stuff....in the older RD models I noticed two gear sticks....can one of you veterans please explain what the hell this is about....I almost crapped my pants...very intimidating....

Go on YouTube and search Mack b model shifting or shifting a r model there are a few videos

Once you become accustomed to the Mack you'll be spoiled for anything else. Your enthusiasm is refreshing as many new drivers today are only interested in trucks that ride like cars and practically drive themselves. Sadly, the number of "intimidating, almost crapped my pants" type trucks is dwindling on a daily basis.

I think Castle is still in business. In the mid-70's, I spent almost every break from school with my Dad when he drove for a banana distributor in Hunts Point. Castle, Whaleco, Whitestone, there was a bunch of oil companies back then. Gerosa was still in business, too. Lotsa cool trucks were based in the south Bronx.

HaHa....I just got the whole Hi-Lo range thing licked then WHAM....two shifters lol....yes sir you are on it...their depot was in that area....I believe Castle was jyst brought out by a company named Sprague.....200 employees will have to take buyouts or work for lower wages