Does This Qualify As A "big Mack Truck"?

RowdyRebel

I've been driving one sized vehicle or another for pay since I turned 18, and for the last several years, I've wanted my own truck. After looking at a couple trucks that just didn't fit the bill, I finally found one that worked for me. It is a 2001 Mack CH613, with the gold bulldog up on the hood. It's got the E7-460 w/Jake, T2180B transmission, and Mack rears geared 4.17 on air ride...and 11R24.5 tires. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled with was the wheelbase. I had been looking for something in the 215" (+/- 15") range....this one measures in at 240"....on a DAYCAB!!! But, with only 261,300 miles on the odometer and a clean bill-of-health from the Mack dealer, I went ahead and bought it. (I bought the truck at an independent shop...had the Mack dealer 35 miles away inspect the truck for me...including a run on the dyno...to be sure it was in good mechanical condition). The big tires and long wheelbase sure gives it a great ride....but the turning radius :pat:

So, now I drive my own truck, leased on to the company I had been with as a company driver for nearly 2 years...

l_e4321886f81ccde5aa2e7b159b70cac0.jpg

So is that a big enough Mack to be posted here? :D

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I've been driving one sized vehicle or another for pay since I turned 18, and for the last several years, I've wanted my own truck. After looking at a couple trucks that just didn't fit the bill, I finally found one that worked for me. It is a 2001 Mack CH613, with the gold bulldog up on the hood. It's got the E7-460 w/Jake, T2180B transmission, and Mack rears geared 4.17 on air ride...and 11R24.5 tires. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled with was the wheelbase. I had been looking for something in the 215" (+/- 15") range....this one measures in at 240"....on a DAYCAB!!! But, with only 261,300 miles on the odometer and a clean bill-of-health from the Mack dealer, I went ahead and bought it. (I bought the truck at an independent shop...had the Mack dealer 35 miles away inspect the truck for me...including a run on the dyno...to be sure it was in good mechanical condition). The big tires and long wheelbase sure gives it a great ride....but the turning radius :pat:

So, now I drive my own truck, leased on to the company I had been with as a company driver for nearly 2 years...

l_e4321886f81ccde5aa2e7b159b70cac0.jpg

So is that a big enough Mack to be posted here? :D

Welcome aboard RowdyRebel and to answer your question YES she is big enough. Nice looking ride. Take care of her and she WILL take care of you. :clock_logo:

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

yes that is a big truck and good luck. I like a mack .Ever one cant drive a mack otherwise who would drive them other things. Most people dont understand the mack and i am talking about the older macks not the new stuff but the truck in general is a goog truck .

glenn akers

I would have preferred an older Mack myself...I LOVE the looks of the B-models and hope I can get one someday, but the company I was working for (and am now leased on with) doesn't want new leases to be more than 6 or 7 years old. Mine is a 2001...pre-emmissions, pre-volvo...one of the last of the true Mack trucks (I wasn't looking at anything without that gold dog on the hood, and nothing newer than 2002), and pretty much the oldest truck that would have been suitable at this time. Hopefully once this truck is paid off, I can get a toy...something to build up and restore...but then I've already got an '86 Ranger in pieces in my garage waiting for a new body and new motor...and a trailer in the back yard that needs rebuilding....and another trailer in the front yard that needs building...and a motorcycle in the garage that needs work...and an old '47 Ford tractor that I need to get running....and an F250 4x4 in the garage that has a few things I'd like to do to as well....not to mention the "little" things I want to do with this truck to make it work better for me....so much to do, so little time and not nearly enough money to do it all. :wacko: There's a few gremlins lurking around on this truck that need to be fixed....seems every trip I find a new one...but I was expecting that with ANY used truck (and even a lot of new ones). So far, it hasn't been anything too difficult.

I am a little surprised, though, that in this day and age of increased importance of the aerodynamics of a truck, you'd think the rounded curves and sloped windshield of the B-model would do better than the flatter, boxier CH...wonder if anyone has ever compared the trucks from 50 years ago to the trucks of today in the wind tunnel to see just how well they would do....prove that the old-skool designs were decades ahead of their time.

Anyway, I've got a couple more pics to get off my camera that REALLY make the truck look larger than life....one is my g/f (all 5'nothin of her) standing next to the 11R24.5 drive tires (that are almost as tall as her). The other is my '92 Ranger parked next to the rig...and the drive tires are taller than the sides of the bed. Heck, I'm 6'2" and I look tiny standing in front of this truck. :lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Are you based out of the E. St. Louis area? I pull a gas tanker in that area.

I drove out of the Ste. Genevieve terminal, but most always parked at the house 60 miles south. I try to avoid St. Louis whenever possible....prefer to stay south of Ste. Gen.

• 1 month later...