So I went to take the General Ike out of storage today and it would appear that the batteries are shot. They were brand-new three years ago but frankly I have only driven the truck 5 times in three years. I think I'm going to replace them but I would prefer to do so with an economy model as I feel that this scenario will replay itself over and over again and I would rather put cheap batteries in instead of continually destroy good batteries.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

What ever batteries you end up using, pick up a basic maintenance charger that keeps them from going below a specific voltage. I bought a solar powered one that works pretty well at Auto Zone for $25.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I lengthened the power cord and the battery cables on mine to add 25 feet. You can get a remote Solar panel in Sears or Northern Tool that are probably the most workable. It has a larger solar panel to compensate for the loss if you lengthen the cables.

http://www.sears.com/battery-tender-5-watt-solar-tender-charger-with/p-02871257000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=02871257000&kispla=02871257000P&kpid=02871257000&mktRedirect=y

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I know its a PIA, but I would not keep the batteries on the truck until I planned on driving it. Take them home and keep them on a good charger/maintainer like "Battery Tender".

Before you chuck the old batteries try using the Battery Tender to de-sulfate them first.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!