Rubber tire backhoes.

RFCDrum

• 4 months later...

I can remember back 20 some yrs ago, buddies dad had asphalt business(still does). Was over the shop and was talking. I mentioned I'd never run a backhoe. We hopped on the old Case extendahoe and went out to the corner of the property and he said "here, have some fun". He told me his dad had done the same thing when he was young. When his dad came to check on him, he dam near had a pond dug in the middle of the parking lot!!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Back when I worked at the CAT house I was involved with the initial development of a RTB. One day at the Proving Grounds I "tried" to operate the hoe. Well after about 15 minutes I said "f it" and went back to my desk. I guess I am not coordinated enough to operate one of them there machines.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I started out with a 580 CK foot petals for the swing and used it for years. My 580 K all controls are different. Still sometimes have to stop and think what I want to do. After about an hour on it things become better. After I have not used it for a while I have to start all over. I was at the Case dealer and they were changing the controls on a 580 L. I asked why. The said the new owner had a Ford for years and wanted the 580 L to be more like the Ford was ?

That is the catch with every brand of machinery. Each one has different controls(at least from what I've heard). I'm pretty handy with my buddies bobcat, but I know a guy with a Gehl and the sticks control everything unlike the bobcat with foot pedals.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

when i worked for case the 580k phase III had just been released, they used poly bushings that were fitted too snugly and the controls would stick i think we reworked 150 machines untill we caught up to the factory resized ones.I dont ever remember a series needing so much rework the swing cylinders got swaped the brakes, trans, diffarental and ring gears all had to be redone, oh and the frames had to be rewelded..........guess what model i own...... yep a 580K ph.III i know them WELL. LOL!!!!!!

the last time i saw one of those it was on a dirt pile in the back yard along with my tonkas and erthals :tease: i literaly wore it out had to replace the riviots with machine screws! had never seen a 4x4 model 7500, thanks for the memorys

• Like 2

Old Ford 7500

11163737855_736030fce1_b.jpg

Now that is a beast! Likewise I have never seen a 4 x 4 7500. Fords were great machines for the money I had a friend who was a Deere salesman. He always said, once he lost an account to Ford, he would never get it back as whatever issue he may have had, the upfront cost savings was more than enough to keep him happy.

Now talkabout "old", I learned on an International 350 with a Pippin back hoe. the 350 was sold as a farm tractor or an industrial. Backhoes were aftermarket. the Pippin was built by Cone Automatic Machine Co of Vermont. Four stick controls. I then worked for a guy while I was in school who had an 840 (841?) Ford-gas job,with a 14' Ford backhoe. Quick on and off attachment-we would shift back and forth between hoe and york rake. Likewise 4 sticks. This Ford also had an Eranco aftermarket driving front axle. This little machine was great,and in early-mid 60's 4wd TLB's were few and far between. I think the only 4 wd factory machine was the Dynahoe which was a big buck machine.

• Like 2