Australian "stack" Intakes

There have been some comments of late about the Australian "Stack" type air intakes. Some like them, some don't. Personal preference I guess. I have taken some pics with my phone (yeah forgot the camera ok) of one way these are fitted and used on an '07 Superdog belonging to one of my customers. Might help anyone who is thinking of trying to fit some to a US model. I will post some pics of his other Superdog stack setup a bit later.

Please don't laugh at the colours ( we call 'em bacon and egg sandwiches ) but is a requirement as a contractor to Kalari.

post-2107-1206438953_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206438977_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206439002_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1206439059_thumb.jpg

My Ford has the air cleaner under the hood like that and the intake is on the right side of the hood. Im going to put my filter and intake out behind the sleeper so I can use one of the Centri precleaners on it. My second choice is to leave the filter under the hood and just duct it from the back.

You'll never go wrong by doing right.

Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

• 3 weeks later...

And here are the other pics I promised of an 03 superdog and the intake setup. I have even put in a photo of the air cleaner unit part number tag if anyone wants to try to get a stack intake set up. More pics in my gallery.

post-2107-1208051167_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1208051198_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1208051237_thumb.jpg

post-2107-1208051344_thumb.jpg

Seems to me that it adds a huge blind spot on each side. How does it stand up to the rigors of a wash-boarded dirt/gravel road?

The "pink" '03 model has just turned over 1,000,000 km (600,000 miles) doing 3 trips a week of around 1,000km round trip, 620 km of each trip on the worst dirt road I have seen in a long time, the last 100km or so unable to go over 60 km/h (38 mph), pulling a double road train of acid tankers. The photos show the wear and tear. As for a blind spot, it's not that bad as the intakes line up pretty well with the "A" pillar.

As for a blind spot, it's not that bad as the intakes line up pretty well with the "A" pillar.

You know what this means Chris? Thats right get your camera and give us a look out the windscreen with those big intake stacks :D .

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

So what do ya reckon thaddeus, might start to see a couple emerging stateside now??? :D

Oh yea someone will defiantly want em. They might be options hopefully but I am sure some would just go to Mack AU and get the stacks and hardware from there.

Oh I have seen titans with stacks on both the front and coming up from the back of the cab. What an awesome sight with dual exhaust stacks, twin rear intake stacks and twin front snorkels. Do the filter housings have both side and rear intake ports?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Oh yea someone will defiantly want em. They might be options hopefully but I am sure some would just go to Mack AU and get the stacks and hardware from there.

Oh I have seen titans with stacks on both the front and coming up from the back of the cab. What an awesome sight with dual exhaust stacks, twin rear intake stacks and twin front snorkels. Do the filter housings have both side and rear intake ports?

I'll look at the one that I'm building tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll see the cab tomorrow or Friday though. I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure that the rear of the canisters are where you open to pull out the filter.......I wish I had a camera, I'd take pics of the cab before it was mated to the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll look at the one that I'm building tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll see the cab tomorrow or Friday though. I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure that the rear of the canisters are where you open to pull out the filter.......I wish I had a camera, I'd take pics of the cab before it was mated to the chassis.

If you look at the pic of the pink one, you can see the air filter intake, just, on the side of the can and the outlet on the front, the rear of the can is actually the base plate of the filter element. Held on with 3 over centre type clips. The only things you would have to buy from Mack are the brackets and maybe the filter housing, not sure if you guys can buy Donaldson gear readily over there, I would think so. The rubber pipe elbows and bends are readily available aftermarket and the chrome pipe is just that, nothing flash. The dust pre-cleaners are Donaldson units too I'm pretty sure. As for the "T" pipe on top, anyone can make them up. This one is Aluminium, so I guess if you know someone who has a TIG welder, your set.

• 13 years later...