E9 manifold bolts

ws721

Spring is here. Cracked the drain plug, no water, that's always a good sign. charge the batteries. Been sitting since Oct. Looking things over I notice 2 broken manifold bolts. Directly on top of the other. Don't remember that last fall. How much of pain is this going to be? its the left rear head if that makes any difference. Thanks

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Ugh...that can be an ugly and expensive job. Some can get away with just changing the troublesome bolts. Other jobs I've seen can be a nightmare with multiple breaks the further you get into the job. Some needing manifolds due to cracks and erosion of the bolt holes etc. Hope yours is nice and easy.

Pull the 2 transmission mount bolts and jack up the trans a few inches and it will help give you access to the lower bolt on the manifold. If flat against the head leave the manifold on as a guide for a drill bit. If there is any stub left your better off welding a nut to it. Most of the time they are not actually seized in the head and they come out with some patience.

I've had good luck using a left hand drill bit on broken bolts, 90 % of the time they work loose while you're drilling and thread out. Plus they're easier to drill before you heat them and you can heat them after if they don't thread out with the drill.

These E-9 manifold bolts are really miseralbe.

Probably time/ money ahead to pull the 2 heads, as one unit, separate the manifolds at the joint and set them up on a mill table. Be ready for a complete shock if you order the bolts Mack sells for this application- around $20 per bolt.

Yeah I have heard that head bolts cost more than used car. Guess I better plan ahead and not make this a weekend fix. Was suppose to start trucking out of Pa next week. Maybe I better use the MH until I get the Cruiseliner fixed right

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!