New guy to BMT from so. Vt.

TommyZ

Nice rigs. I am digging the rollback. Any other tow trucks in the mix?

There is in the planning stages. I have a Tru Hitch DTU that will be going onto the ' 81 cabover freightshaker, for local/longer distance tows, to help out distressed owner/op's and such as well as retail towing for fleets, etc. With all these new Paccar motors and faulty sensors, etc. that thing shoud stay fairly busy, lol.

post-17526-0-39794500-1394094419_thumb.j

Joe Jimmo is always looking for good towing company.

Hehehehehe....he's got good enough credit around town; I'm sure there's plenty of towers that would love to latch onto one of his pieces.

Tommy,

How did you come up with your co. name? I used to live near Iron Mountain,Mich. Any connection? Al

It was a toss up between "The Fool on the Hill", or Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment, LLC. I thought the latter would be more professional sounding in terms of conducting business, but the first name is much more appropriate most of the time. No connection at all to anything, other than my own hallucinations.

I fought to register that name in my state as an LLC too. They denied it due to "too many words being too close to an existing registered LLC in this state". Funny, there's more Green Mountain this-and-that's in this state, but I wanted something unique and they wouldn't do it. The remedy to it was my accountant is located in Indianapolis,In. so he registered my biz name in his state...took him one hour to get it done in his state, took me 9 months to get a "NO" from mine. No big deal having an Ind. LLC either, doesn't matter where that's domiciled for what I do.

I do see a lot of Iron Mountain document shredding service vehicles around though. They trademarked the Iron Mountain logo too.

It just makes sense. I live on an official mountain at 2290 ft. ASL, I have a bunch of IRON parked here that I collect, buy, sell, horsetrade, etc., so hence the name, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment. The Towing is a DBA of that entity.

• Like 1

I don't know if we can sell you anymore COE's with the comments you have been making. The air must be thin up there. LOL

Ahhh, I switched my thinking since that cabover I got from you guys anyways. Too tough to get in and out of as I get older...so we switched to HOODED vehicles. Way easier to tilt that HOOD than it is to jack that cab up, especially when you blow a line or two and have to get creative.

(You do know I'm only yanking yer chain BTW...) They'll probably bury me in a cabover.

nice trucks. and trailer. I need a Fruehauf like that one in my collection.

I actually found this one tucked in the weeds over in Johnstown, NY last year, on a mission to pick up four 11:24.5 tires. It's origionally a NY State Thruway lowbed. I spotted it and asked the fella if it was for sale, and he said he'd love to sell it. 20 years ago, he went through it and put 8 new tires on it, redid all the brakes (Brakemaster type with the long push rods...) all new chambers, all new lights and new planking. He used it 3-4 times and decided he just shouldn't use it as he planned, and parked it. Luckily he would move it back and forth each year to keep it from seizing up.

The deck was completely rotted, so he took most of it off for me before I got there to bring it home. I was impressed that all the lights worked, although they were the old steel fixtures with snap ringed lenses.

I hooked onto it and headed home on the 106 mile journey, down rt. 30A and stayed off the Thruway, as I was spraying rotten pieces of decking that was still stuck around all the bolts all over the road for about 30 miles. I got on I-88 in Central Bridge and by that time she was completely cleared off, but the lights were all dragging by the wires now because they vibrated apart. Those things are over rated anyways.

The brakes worked beautifully, which was a miracle.

I took it right home and bought all new lights, rewired them up, and put a few new planks on to accomodate a truck on it, leaving the center open for easier access to chaining. When I went to test all my new lights and labor I put into it that day...the lights didn't come on and there was a huge puff of smoke coming from underneath the gooseneck. Seems that the original 1966 cloth covered trailer cord decided to fuse itself together into one solid mass of copper as I put the juice to it.

No biggie; I lopped it off and put a brand new section of 7 wire cord in place...in about an hour I was all set and lit up like nobody's bidness.

The landing gear are all cast aluminum housings (Holland too,) and work fine. That's a beautiful thing in itself to have crank down gear.

I've used that trailer several times too for bringing stuff home, and going to shows, hauling trucks on it. Kind of a nice old piece to have around.