FMCSA Approved DOT Doctors

farmer52

Well I just had my DOT physical a couple of weeks ago as my current card had a March 7 anniversary date and under State of Mass law, if you don't self certify with DMV by your anniversary your license gets downgraded to a class D! -assume that is same now in other states?

In any case my Doc -who is my PCP-told me about the new certification for examining physicians. Bottom line he is giving it up. As he put it, say he has a patient he has been treating for years and guy comes in for a DOT-and he has to flunk him. As he put it, does not want to deal with denying a long term patient his livelihood. And given number of lawsuits today, can you blame the guy?

As a general rule, I will not go see my "regular" doctor for my DOT physical. I want to be able to discuss ANY health-related info with my doctor...and when I go in for my DOT physical it is short answers, need-to-know. The DOT physical isn't where you want to discuss issues which you might not realize COULD disqualify you or get you "approved" for less than the standard 2 years. Discuss those issues with your family doc, and then when you go to the other guy for the DOT physical you've never felt better in your life. Your livelihood may very well depend on it.

Excellent advice!

Thankful that I don't have to do that crap anymore[local dump truck driver],I don't know how you over the road guys/gals put up with all the bull shit they keep throwing at ya,you all should be the highest paid people out there!!

My advice to anyone starting out is to read that little green book. Know what is in it, and where to find what you might need. The way I see it, you gotta know the rules of the game before you can bend 'em in your favor, and as long as you are relying upon others to interpret the rules for you understand that their interpretation is going to be bent in THEIR favor. For example, how many cops are going to bring 396.7( B) to your attention after they pulled you over for that tire that just blew out a few miles back? As long as you aren't flinging rubber, it is safer to continue on to a safe place away from traffic to have a new tire put on rather than sit on the shoulder while traffic zips by at 70+ mph. But, if you don't KNOW about 396.7( B), then you've got to take the officer at his word that it is illegal for you to be on the road with that blown out tire and he'll cite you for violating 392.7(a) for operating the CMV with a defective tire. Gotta know the rules or you're gonna get screwed. Companies will do the same...pressuring drivers to maximize their HOS, sometimes encouraging them to massage the rules to the carrier's benefit by not properly logging ALL on duty time as such...or harassing drivers who may still have a little time left to drive under the HOS who don't know that 392.3 is there to protect the driver by prohibiting driving when I'll or fatigued...whether the HOS rules say they have hours to drive or not. The carrier isn't going to tell you that if you are under the weather or tired that you can shut down...that freight is HOT and your e-log says you've got hours available to drive. Gotta know the rules before you can bend them to your favor.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The DOT doctor I went to from the list was a Chiroprator in Middle Island. Whistled right trhrough. I agree with Rowdy know the rules and know your enemy. We have a Sullfolk DOT inspector who likes to issue multiple tickets for a single failure...3 different tickets for a blown tail light. Even though thats "illegal".

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Macks: how do you get away with no health card. in wa. state even as a farmer working 150 air miles or less from home I must have a valid card.

I certified for EA-Excepted Intrastate, being that I only drive local and I got my cdl prior to 9-9-99 I'm exempt from the requirement. If you are driving a vehicle that is owned and controlled by a farmer and used to transport agricultural products to and from your farm and the vehicle is NOT a combination vehicle ie tractor trailer and you stay within 150 air miles of your farm then you can certify to EA or EI and will be exempt..