ENDT-673-C Water Pump

Maybe one of you old parts gurus can help me identify the water pump on my '70 R611ST with the ENDT-673-C engine.

No problem yet. Just trying to identify parts.

Water pump casting number - 360 GB 443.
Build sheet number - 316 GCA 492 P37...as near as I can tell.

Not sure about shaft length, as it is still installed & running.

Any idea what the part number may have been superceded by?

316GC1184?
316GC1210A?
316GC1211A?
316GC1211B?

I would assume that a pump with the same casting number, the same shaft length, and the same impeller configuration would interchange & function correctly?

Thanks, y'all!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Looks like you wound up in the same place I did! I'm sitting here looking at those same pictures!

I spoke to the Mack guys in Knoxville this morning. They couldn't pull anything up, even with the engine assembly number. So, the parts guy called an old guy higher up in the Mack organization. That individual told him it basically came down to "short shaft" or "long shaft", which (supposedly) equates to a 2-groove or 3-groove pulley.

So, when it needs work, I'll just pull it off and match up the shaft length and casting height with the drawings.

In the meantime, I think I'll check the alignment of the water pump pulley to the crank pulley, to be sure they actually line up. Because, who's to say this is the original (or even correct) pump on there now!

If all my info is correct, the "360GB334" casting is 3.6" tall (from machined surface to machined surface), and the "360GB443" casting is 4.0" tall (according to BEPCO information).

And, the "short shaft" protrudes about .94", while the "long shaft" protrudes about 1.5" (according to Haldex-Midland info).

Then, there are variations in impeller (cast or stamped, flush or protruding).

All this sound about right to you???

Well, sounds like a BIG hill of beans and wayyyy too much effort. Tell you what, pull that old bucket of bolts motor and send it to me. I'll worry about that stupid water pump LOL!!

(besides, that motor is just what my ol B needs) ;)

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Oh! You funny, 'Train!

That's mighty nice of you to offer. Not just everybody would do that for you!

'Course, you'd either have to swap the oil filter or cut a hole in the hood of that B. Remember that post on here a few years ago?

Just looking out for YOUR best interest....................that's all.

Don't recall any post? That motor should just bolt right in. I already have spin on filters on my truck now(from non turbo 711 motor from an R model)

Larry

Yeah, some guy had a B-model with an R-model engine dropped into it. The factory R-model filter canister stuck up through the hood! Had a nice, trimmed hole in the hood for the filter to stick out of.

The more I trace the possible part numbers on mine, the more convinced I am that somebody MAY have swapped in the "wrong" pump at some time in the past. I can't prove it right now, but at one time, I THOUGHT the belts looked just a hair out of alignment. But, since somebody had already built a pretty nice bracket, and swapped in a regular alternator, I attributed the POSSIBLE mis-alignment to that. Now, I'm thinking it may be due to a water pump change.

I'll check the alignment with a straight edage, and see if I can make heads or tails out of it. If the alignment needs to be shifted a fuzz to better line up with the crank pulley...well then, there you are!

Either way, it looks like a body has several pump configurations to work with!

And, if it all gets too complicated, I can just let you have it!!! Right? :twothumbsup:

Strange that NOBODY on here has put a water pump on an ENDT-673-C! Or, has anybody else actually GOT a 673-C? I'd be tickled to death if somebody would read me the casting number off the front of a water pump on a 673-C!

P.S.: I still believe mine may be wrong. :whistling:

Never heard that story or saw the picture. I know that there has been plenty of these put in B models, along with even 300's. Can't see why anyone would cut the hood for the filter to fit?

Like I mentioned, my spin ons came from an R model.

And, if it all gets too complicated, I can just let you have it!!! Right?

Now you're seeing things in my light LOL!!!

Larry

Oh, it was the old filter cartridge, before spin-ons. The B-model used a similar one, but it sat lower. This guy had one like on mine (see image), which sat a LOT higher. Not an issue under an R hood, but kinda "unique" on a B!

I'll see if I can find that old thread. Not even sure what site it was on...

post-11199-0-74584000-1392064012_thumb.j

yup, 711's in R models had that big full flow 750 series lubrifiner on it. I have put a few 711's in B models that came out of R models and had to change the bracket and block on the side. Doubleclutch, your reading into the casting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. they are right, it pretty much comes down to long shaft and short shaft. the longer shaft came with the addidtion of power steering an/or air conditioning in an R model. they are all basically the same water pump with minor differences.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

yup, 711's in R models had that big full flow 750 series lubrifiner on it. I have put a few 711's in B models that came out of R models and had to change the bracket and block on the side. Doubleclutch, your reading into the casting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. they are right, it pretty much comes down to long shaft and short shaft. the longer shaft came with the addidtion of power steering an/or air conditioning in an R model. they are all basically the same water pump with minor differences.

Cool. I'll just match it up when I yank it out.

And, yes, I do tend to over-think stuff. But, when you see all the people out there who don't think at all, I figure I should do my part to raise the average thought level! LOL!

• 1 month later...

Measured some on the water pump today. Looks like about 6" from housing to fan, & about 1" from fan back to end of shaft.

So, that's about 5" effective, which makes it a "short shaft" unit, I believe. A "long shaft" would be about 5-1/2" long.

Most literature suggests a 316GC184 pump. Looks like that may be correct.

• 7 years later...