Vintage Mack Ad

Classic ad and rig!! Thanks!!

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I read this ad,and imagined what it must have been like to run that round back then! with no sleeper,"iffy" heat Lol! the weather , mountains etc. I give the old hands all the credit and admiration I have!..................................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Love the old MACK ads also,Mark. Your right,I don't think those guys had it easy either. But it was an improvement over the AC and others that came before them,you know? Now you guys have pretty decent equipment,but a government that is obsessed with regulations (because they know more about the trucking business than you do....right) that keep you from being the most productive that we all know you can be! My hat is off to you guys still doing it. :notworthy: I'd be looking like this...quite possibly! LOL! Al

post-510-0-21269700-1390842577.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I know what you mean Mark...My uncle told me a few stories about him running a R model with a 36inch bunk to california and back. Pulled a reefer,truck had no a/c, camelback rears. Said he would sleep on the trailer floor when he was empty with the reefer running...lol...turned the truck over in Dallas,Tx. Because the leaf springs broke on one side of the trailer. You gotta give drivers like this alota credit,because they put up with stuff alot of the new drivers won't.

I could remember my dad an uncles telling stories about trucks waitin at the bottom of a hill with a chain hangin on there bumper for someone to pull em up the hill cause they did not have the power to get over! I can remember this one garage my dad did work for the guys ran mostly Chicago an mostly all single axles I guess it was around 1963 cause the owner of the place had a new Pontiac red Bonny with a black conv. Top. Most of the tractors were H models he had 1 G model tandem some B67's an a real cool lookin LJ single axle that was a owner operator name Stanly his brother also had his own rig a H Mack with a 205 hp turbo Mack motor! It was a great time for me as a young truck lovin kid!! But the thing I remember even more then the trucks was the way some of the owner drivers dressed, with the cow boy boots hat an the chain hooked on there belt (let's not forget the buckle ) to this big wallet that came up about 3 inches outa there back pocket they all smoked Camels, most guys sat at the desk waiting for there trip leas an advance and would carve up these big round pills 4 ways like a pie ( I found out years later what West Coast turn arounds were) LOL

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

You mean the days when the driver would stand out on the running board with the door open

to cool off when pulling a hill in the summer time at 15mph.

Sounds like "Jigsaw". He had an old Transtar with a 318 in it leased to H.H.Moore. We were hauling chips one summer from a Westvaco woodyard in Ivy, just west of Charlottesville. Jigsaw's uncle used to ride with him a lot and they'd be climbing up Afton mountain with Jigsaw holding his door open with his foot and his uncle would be holding the passenger door open with his foot. They'd be running about 15 mph, that was the weakest 318 I ever saw.

We got on 64 at the Crozet exit at the bottom of the mountain when we pulled from Ivy. I got on the big road one day and passed a parking lot just before you started climbing. He got on the radio and said I was losing chips, and they were gonna beat the paint off his load of cars. So I pulled onto the shoulder and fixed the tail gate, the pin had come out of one side, and still caught and passed that parking lot before he got to the top of the mountain. He didn't say anything that time.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.