Air wiper question

MACK MAN

I'dI have air wipers on military truck,it has two motors and one air valve.I have a air leak at one of the motors,I believe it is leaking from the vent on the motor.I had a new air valve so I replaced the air valve,it still leaks.My question is does the motor always have air going to it to keep pressure on the wiper when it is in the parked position.I hate to spend 400.00 on a new motor it's it not that.

Al

I'dI have air wipers on military truck,it has two motors and one air valve.I have a air leak at one of the motors,I believe it is leaking from the vent on the motor.I had a new air valve so I replaced the air valve,it still leaks.My question is does the motor always have air going to it to keep pressure on the wiper when it is in the parked position.I hate to spend 400.00 on a new motor it's it not that.

Al

I don't think so. If its like the civilian ones, I believe the air is only ported to it in "run" & "park" modes. But, I don't really consider myself an expert on it!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

One reason I think air is always going to the wiper motor is,the one motor that is not leaking air when the truck sits and losses air it's wiper arm hangs down.Than after I start the truck and it gets up to 70lbs or so the wiper goes to the top of the windshield and stays there.

One reason I think air is always going to the wiper motor is,the one motor that is not leaking air when the truck sits and losses air it's wiper arm hangs down.Than after I start the truck and it gets up to 70lbs or so the wiper goes to the top of the windshield and stays there.

Maybe a little air leaking through the control valve?

C'mon. Somebody out there HAS to know this one!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

My experience with military trucks, possible the wiper motor has a sticking directional valve, remove air hose to wiper motor and spray a little W-D 40 into and reconnect air line and allow to work for awhile. The other thing you might want to try is with the air off, move the arm back into park position manually (either to the extreme right or left) and check for air loss. Its been 20 plus years sense I work on them.

• Like 1

I'm the odd man out. My air wipers work great. Pulled the motor out, cleaned all the 50yr old sludge out of it and some new lines and it will literally try to throw the blades off the arms they run so fast. I did have to clean out the valving in the end that reverses the motor.

I doubt the air is suppose to hold the wipers up. I remember my buddies COE and after hitting a bad bump having to flip the wiper switch to get them back up again.

Try here:

http://www.marinepartsunlimited.com/index.htm?trico-folberth.html

Art used to be on here, I know he is on other boards that I frequent. He knows his stuff about air wipers.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Sorry, change them to electric if I can. My Macks are all electric and the Brockway is air. It works well which is good because it is buried under the dash.

I heard that. Sometimes I feel that Mack must have installed all of the hardware in those dashes and welded them to the supports last thing. Too difficult to get to that area.

mike

mike

I'm the odd man out. My air wipers work great. Pulled the motor out, cleaned all the 50yr old sludge out of it and some new lines and it will literally try to throw the blades off the arms they run so fast. I did have to clean out the valving in the end that reverses the motor.

I doubt the air is suppose to hold the wipers up. I remember my buddies COE and after hitting a bad bump having to flip the wiper switch to get them back up again.

Try here:

Art used to be on here, I know he is on other boards that I frequent. He knows his stuff about air wipers.

LOL........Larry I believe your going to have ta punch a pin hole size hole in that airline so those wipers won't fly off the windshield. LMAO.

mike

my B leaked from the motor and I could not get it to stop and did not want to spend big money to fix since I try not to run it in the rain so I installed a shut off valve in line to the control valve, when I need to use the wipers I just turn on the valve and use like normal, and when the truck is shut off it does not leak air any more, probably not a lasting fix but one that works for me.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I thought about installing an electric solenoid hooked to the ignition switch that way the wipers have air with the key. Then when the truck is off it keeps from bleeding the air off so fast(like mine does now). I only get an hour or so before it kills all my air. When I put a new o-ring in the dash control it lasted a day.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 4 weeks later...

Try here:

I tried that on my L model. Worked on the drivers side but the passenger was plumb wore out. The aluminum cylinder just isnt round any more. I tried packing the piston good with grease and that worked for about 5 minutes. Now it tends to hang up when it switches direction.