Rd Macks Pull A Train

UP Big boy 4-8-8-4

p.s look at the front axels

Good shot Trent. I'm wondering if when it was discovered there was not have enough weight available with this setup, they staged the photo? of course reducing the elevation of the winch booms would lower the pulling angle.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Good shot Trent. I'm wondering if when it was discovered there was not have enough weight available with this setup, they staged the photo? of course reducing the elevation of the winch booms would lower the pulling angle.

Rob

:mack1: I can promise you there was nothing staged about that picture, the company that i work for assisted the mover, we had a rubber tired loader pushing on the back of the locomotve. It was moved a few years back in Omaha. terry

:mack1: I can promise you there was nothing staged about that picture, the company that i work for assisted the mover, we had a rubber tired loader pushing on the back of the locomotve. It was moved a few years back in Omaha. terry

No doubt Terry. Just a good opportunity for a publicity shot. I do remember the photo from earlier.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I doesn't appear that they are pulling from the booms, looks like from the frames to me.

Pretty impressive, though.

looks like the cable is run from the boom,but there's also a strap or something down lower ,frame level-hard to tell exactly what it is.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...
I do see the cable now. Possibly some tow truck driver can tell us what is going on.

A shared loading for better pulling?

Pretty much spot on. I worked for a company a few years back with a tow truck that also was used to move heavy gear( White Road Boss with Cummins K-19 @ 575 hp, 15 speed o/d roadranger, 3.9 rockwell diffs, 56k hendrickson, not sure on tow body make with a 60,000lb winch). Normally a stiff bar was used between the truck and the load to do the pulling and the winch and boom were used to vary the load on the drive axles. as the boom base is forward of the drive and the stay is pretty much over the centre of the drive, you can load the boom cable up to increase load on the drive to a point. Eventually you will lift the steer off the deck. There is an art to it. Usually the tow point on the truck for the stiff bar is below the centre line of the rear axles to help prevent steer axle lift and also by design this helps pull against the force of the cable. But as can be seen, not always this idea works.

Edited by AusChris