Not a Mack, but I wanted to say thank you.

cf685f

Fellow apparatus buffs,

So as luck has it, another firetruck found its way to my shop. After going through that issue with the B Model in Delaware, a guy sent me on to Newark. Two weeks ago I went up on Saturday to help a friend move fire stuff for a museum and ending up with another engine.

To my suprise it is not a Mack and oh by the way its not even red. :thumbsdown:

I will admit that I had a moment or a judgement lapse. I think my Dr. said acceptance is the first stage to a cure, any how. I thought I would share a picture of the old girl. Why I took possession I will never know. The engine was signed over without me even looking at it and I was off. Sixty miles out, I had a break down and then got ripped off by a tow company. Needless to say a free truck, well is not so free now.

Due to work and the towing of the engine it is still in NJ; up in a yard. I hope to have it home soon to see how bad of shape it is in. I think its in bad shape, but I am not sure how bad.

I dont know why I do this to myself???

Thanks for all the B model leads, but it will take a few months to recharge my play money. I will have a B before all is said and done. :bulldog3:

post-3898-0-15967900-1386361001_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Its on a landoll, in Newark. Guys giving me a deal; He has to bring another truck down to NC in a week or so, so we are spilting the trip.

I gave it a basic check over and new filters. The truck was parked a few years ago due to no power. I think the fuel pump and the injectors were to blame. I didnt want to drive it, but the deal was it had to be moved rite then. I crossed my fingers and off we went. It went 60 miles and when I let off the gas pedal the truck died and would not restart. No fuel to the rack.

I think a tune up, a fuel tank cleaning, a fuel pump, injectors and then the motor will be fine. Crossed fingers, thats it. Then on to the rest of the truck.

Its a 1971 1000 Series American LaFrance, 1250 pump, 500 gallon tank, 6-71 Detroit with a Spicer 5 spd.

Old American LaFrance trucks are getting rare in decent shape just like Old Macks, seems everybody likes cutting up fire trucks for scrap, looks like a good one there.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Good luck. My 25AB also has Bloomfield on it, but it didn't come from there.

That story kind of reminds me of a friend's story about buying a 700 series in Jacksonville, FL.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Its a 1971 1000 Series American LaFrance,

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, that appears to be a 900 Series, not a Century Series. The driver side mirror is blocking the absolute final determination- does the canopy cab bubble out behind the driver door.....Does not appear that it does, making it a 900 Series. As for the Detroit, I am sorry. As for the slime lime paint, I am sorrier.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

This engine is actual a 1000 series, or a premium version of the 900s. I think in 69 or 70, the premium version became availble in addtion to the 900, now the base model option. To clue you in on the series change, the aluminum wrap around the bottom of the front cab is the only factor to key you in. Also, the 1000 series came standard with a Detroit Diesel. To get a gas motor in this time period, you had to opt for the 900 series. These two series, phased out in the mid 70's, when the premium ALF became the Century with the enlarged cab and the value version became the Pioneer.

• Like 1

Spent a few hours behind the wheel of a 1000 series in the 70's. 8V-71, 5 sp. The rig was exceptionally fast and did not hold the road well at all, especially on wet roads. Not a good combination, though I did get to go NB, SB, NB, SB and finally NB on I-95 one night in about a 5second span.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

This engine is actual a 1000 series, or a premium version of the 900s. I think in 69 or 70, the premium version became availble in addtion to the 900, now the base model option. To clue you in on the series change, the aluminum wrap around the bottom of the front cab is the only factor to key you in. Also, the 1000 series came standard with a Detroit Diesel. To get a gas motor in this time period, you had to opt for the 900 series. These two series, phased out in the mid 70's, when the premium ALF became the Century with the enlarged cab and the value version became the Pioneer.

Carl I did that in a 78 Hahn HCP 1250/750- the first rig Hahn built with a turbocharged 671-T (mated to an HT740...)

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Spent a few hours behind the wheel of a 1000 series in the 70's. 8V-71, 5 sp. The rig was exceptionally fast and did not hold the road well at all, especially on wet roads. Not a good combination, though I did get to go NB, SB, NB, SB and finally NB on I-95 one night in about a 5second span.

Did you get dizzy?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I was dizzy before the spin out according to my OIC.

I loved driving that truck. The speedometer topped out at 85 if I recall correctly and it would bury it with a lot left over. Plus it was quick off of the line.

The same company had a 900 series gasser that had "cruise control". When you really wound it up out on an interstate the front sheet metal would flex in enough to bind the accelerator pedal. You could take your foot off of the pedal and it would keep doing the same speed until you reached down and pulled the pedal back up. It also had the ability to belch out a four or five foot fire ball out of the exhaust if you downshifted quickly from 5th to 4th. That would get the attention of any motorist who happened to be beside you.

• Like 2