Mack CH613 Dump Truck

Good Morning everyone! I've been looking for a good tandem dump truck and found a '02 CH613 for sale. It's more than likely been converted and doesn't have a double frame. It's got a 15' bed, the guy said it'll haul about 16 yd and camelback suspension. My question is, should I be shy of it not having a double frame? Every thing else checks out. This will be my first dump truck so I'm not that familar with them. Thanks!

If you were strictly running on hard, level, paved roads-not much of a problem.

As soon as you go off the road, the twisting will break it. Not to mention slightly of level dumping

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

If you were strictly running on hard, level, paved roads-not much of a problem.

As soon as you go off the road, the twisting will break it. Not to mention slightly of level dumping

Thank you sir! Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Having a hard time finding something ready to work around here. Where's a good place to look other than craigslist and truckpaper or the other know equipment sights?

Not all frame rails are created equal, either. How thick are they? If they are the heavier (3/8" or thicker) frame rails, they'd have a better chance of holding up than if they are the thinner ones (1/4" or less). By specing a thicker single rail, you can get similar strength without the rust-jacking issues you'd see with a doubled up thinner frame rail. Heck, a 7/16" single rail is dern near as thick as a 1/4" frame that's been doubled up....

...but I've never run tandem dumps, so what do I know? Only dump experience I've got is with T/T's. :idunno:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

If its a CH its not a dump truck, the CH max steer axle was 16k and most are 12's, I have always had 18-20k steers on a dump. I have run tri axle dumps around here a long time and if its not double framed with at minimum 18 front 44rears and an 18 tag I'm out. There isn't really enough info in your post to let you know where that truck would fall short, what kind of weight are you looking to gross? Are you going to be hauling on/off road or sticking to stockpile or paving work? I would steer clear of anything not built as a heavy chassis for a dump truck, look at an RD, DM, Granite, RW700 or CL700 series truck. As for finding trucks truck paper and craigslist are pretty much the top two.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I haven't looked at the truck just yet, got pic's and a little info. It's about 4 hours away, held up when I learned about the frame. I'll have to ask him how thick it is.

I'm looking for a truck to use in my excavation business. It could be used for anything, but more than likely a lot of on site stuff, maybe some demo, hauling top soil and chert etc. Need a good all purpose truck. I'm not opposed to an tri- axle, just trying to keep opperating and expense cost down.

if your going to use it on site don't even think about something that wasn't a heavy chassis from the factory, you can load a tri axle with 16' Rogers or ox body up to over 80,000# before you realize it, if your going to do on site a tandem is probably going to be better I the long run, you will want 20k front and at least 44k rears I would look for heavier, 52-65k, don't get a body over 16' long youll overload it and break the truck in half and make sure you grease the truck constantly, like weekly if its going to be used on site. I would think an older R model tandem would be ok, an RD or DM tandem would work well also they are about the best thing Mack has ever made for a dump truck due to the low center of gravity and ridiculously good handling characteristics. Also don't count out the DM cause its got an offset cab and doesn't look as nice, that cab was designed offset for on site work it gives you a lot better view of what your doing and they are almost always specd right for heavy work.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Al you can run 80k on a triaxle, way too much for a CH of any kind, they didn't offer a frame or front axle strong enough for 80k on a straight truck in a CH.

I don't know what you are planning on spending but these are what I would recommend, an Allison auto would be nice for on site too, youll be wearing a clutch out staying off road, look for 4.64 rears if you get a manual trans.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4592125

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3727253

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4479101

If you're running a one or two man company the CH will work out fine. I don't think it'll be working steady 16 hour days 6 days a week? You just need a decent general purpose dump, right? I bought a '94 CH once off a fleet lease, pulled off the bunk, added the 14,300 leafs to the front and ran the hell out of that truck. I bought it with 310,000 miles and sold it with 955,000. I never laid a wrench on the truck except for maintenance and a radiator. 350 with a fuller 9spd and 4.10 rears on air ride. That truck here could run a gross of 55,000#'s. Its now in North Dakota getting destroyed in the oil fields. I think that CH will be fine for you for a couple years till you decide if you wanna own more trucks.

If you're running a one or two man company the CH will work out fine. I don't think it'll be working steady 16 hour days 6 days a week? You just need a decent general purpose dump, right? I bought a '94 CH once off a fleet lease, pulled off the bunk, added the 14,300 leafs to the front and ran the hell out of that truck. I bought it with 310,000 miles and sold it with 955,000. I never laid a wrench on the truck except for maintenance and a radiator. 350 with a fuller 9spd and 4.10 rears on air ride. That truck here could run a gross of 55,000#'s. Its now in North Dakota getting destroyed in the oil fields. I think that CH will be fine for you for a couple years till you decide if you wanna own more trucks.

It was fine @55k, in AL its legal for 70k and on site who knows.
  • Like 1

That chn looks like a GA truck, probably 14600 frt, 40 rears and it will need a floor in that bed pretty quick. Still didn't see any axle ratings the chassis specs would be my selling point not the looks or price.

The floor in the CH looks as it was worked hard with big potatoes. The box crossmembers are showing.Along with what others said buy a truck built for the job. The DM in South Dakota in Truckpaper looks as it has the frame that is heavy behind the cab. It could be single frame but was built for vocational work.I never drove an automatic so I could not say if good or not.I have been in the trucking business for 41 years about 25 in dump truck side. Buy whats right you will be ahead. Good Luck. Joe D.

I just sold my ch which was the same set up as the one your looking at. I owned it less than one year! the rd you have in the pics looks to have the lighter front axle also. pull the vin and have your local mack dealer run it for you. will save you a possible headache later. I upgraded the ch to a factory heavy spec truck and an so much happier.

I look at the pics of those trucks and it hits me again, why cant people take better care of the interior, I mean if your a driver that is a direct reflection on you, your the one in it all day and if it looks like shit I gotta think your not any better than the mess you leave behind.

• Like 1

I look at the pics of those trucks and it hits me again, why cant people take better care of the interior, I mean if your a driver that is a direct reflection on you, your the one in it all day and if it looks like shit I gotta think your not any better than the mess you leave behind.

Out of likes but I agree 100%! One can tell alot about a vehicle by looking at the interior.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I agree with you guys 100% about the interior. I cant stand for for any of my cabs to stay dirty, I know they'll get dirty but not for long with me. Bought a cordless dewalt vacumm just for the job of cabs for my equipment and truck. It's just hard to find a good truck these days.....I may have to be more open to a tri axle. Any leads are greatlly appreciated!

Trucks are out there, there are tons of em in AL and TN just need to know what your looking for. Pm me with some more specifics and a price range and I'll help you find one, I've been looking for a tri or quad for a while myself.