"Y" engine missing

hard cider

hello

I am hoping someone can give a little help with a Mack I am looking to buy.

The truck is a 1984 half cab log boom truck with the 8th vin is a Y

first, I need help identifying the engine, what is it?

Second, maybe a little insight on it's problem: the owner said it was driving fine and then started missing and stumbling. Had a mechanic come out who took off the valve covers and told him it was the cam.

Did this engine have a problem with camshafts? Or is there another related issue common?

Thanks in advance for any input

:worthlesswithoutpics[1]:

heh heh I will get some and post them since they are so important......why?

The Y is the weight class. You need the letter and 3 numbers prior to the Y.

ok I will get the rest of the VIN

I thought the digits would be the same as regular vehicles where the 8th is the engine code

it will be a few days before I can get them so hopefully you will still reply then. thanks

hello

I am hoping someone can give a little help with a Mack I am looking to buy.

The truck is a 1984 half cab log boom truck with the 8th vin is a Y

first, I need help identifying the engine, what is it?

Second, maybe a little insight on it's problem: the owner said it was driving fine and then started missing and stumbling. Had a mechanic come out who took off the valve covers and told him it was the cam.

Did this engine have a problem with camshafts? Or is there another related issue common?

Thanks in advance for any input

1984? The only "half cab" Mack produced was the HMM, from 1973 thru 1979. Located on the driver's door, what was the model number on the vehicle identification plate?

any older Mack engine could have a bad cam, could also be worn valve guides. have seen older 237's and 300's sound like they are skipping or the jake is stuck on from excessive Jake brake use and worn valve guides.

I was told by the driver that it was a sudden problem. Ran fine, going down the road, and somewhere on the way back it suddenly started missing

• 3 weeks later...

my best guess is that it is air to air intercooled, wonder if the hp is 300?

A friend looked up the vin at the mackshack and it should be the E6 300 2V engine with 5sp and 4.17 rears

ane idea about the miss?

he also mentioned this might be the engine which the faces of the lifters fell off and wiped the cam

also maybe the mack eng brake stuck. can you tell from the pics if it has a brake at all ? I don't see any wires

thanks for all your advice

Looks like the air pipe comes from the radiator area and then goes into the intake manifold.

How long has the motor been open? The top of the motor looks plenty dry with no residual oil on anything. Looks like a lot of crap has gone into the head.

Plus, there is a tree growing next to it.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.