1960 B81 dump f/s

Heres a B81 I looked at in Northern Maine a few weeks ago. http://maine.craigslist.org/atq/4050361163.html

It is all running Im told but didn't bother starting it as it was a little rougher than I wanted. The asking price is $5k and he wouldn't budge. I think it was hauled up here from Mass possibly. The owner used it to plow his camp road. Does anyone recognize this truck or have any history? Heres a pic I took. Thanks, doug

post-1441-0-00442400-1383512913_thumb.jp

• Like 2

yes it looks decent in pics but is kinda rough but anything is rebuildable. All the sheet metal is bent, broke, rusted through. Cab is really rough , not much floors left there is wooden planks laid across with a milk crate for a seat. Fuel tank is shot and on and on.

yes it looks decent in pics but is kinda rough but anything is rebuildable. All the sheet metal is bent, broke, rusted through. Cab is really rough , not much floors left there is wooden planks laid across with a milk crate for a seat. Fuel tank is shot and on and on.

wow mine at least has the factory air seat lol

It looks nice but I'ld bet once you got up close to it ,it would be all different.If the floors are shot,back of cab rotted out well then you have a real job on your hands.I know not everyone has the truck like I started with,that would be a family owned truck from new.That was garage kept most of it's life.I have had to replace 2 panals in the floor that we had done some 30 plus years ago and under the air cleaner was also rusted out along with a small panal along the rear of cab at the bottom.Other then those few things the truck is in great condition and runs great.All I'm trying to say here is to try and start out with the best truck you can find and afford.I'm teaching myself to do the body panals and any of the body work.The great thing about these old Mack are they were built from real steel that can be worked with.Just my 2 cents.Have a great day.Mike Durkinpost-628-0-85426600-1383667913_thumb.jpg

It seams like they are always about twice as bad as you think at first. You notice things as you go. I think that if it runs and drives and the brakes are good you are way ahead of the game. Engines get expensive fast and are labor intensive to fix if they are in bad shape. The sheet metal is thick and can be welded up with new steel fairly easily. I wish my frame was better off but it is all salvageable as DigDug says. I'd go for it.

Is that just an 81? the air cleaner is what I think of as an 83 or 815 or 87 model...with the two elbows before it turns into the engine compartment. I think the 81's usually have the skinny tube instead. Maybe I read too much into it and it was a model year thing as well.

Is that just an 81? the air cleaner is what I think of as an 83 or 815 or 87 model...with the two elbows before it turns into the engine compartment. I think the 81's usually have the skinny tube instead. Maybe I read too much into it and it was a model year thing as well.

it could be a b 813 too with that big intake tube

Jamie