Electric Window Kits

It seems Mack's "china connection" does not make parts like original. I am on my second driver's side window crank. The knob is held on by a spiral pin pressed into the rubber-like knob. The first one lasted about two (2) times and now the knob is about to fall off the second one. The last one I bought cost about $26.

I have seen "boxes" that mount over the crank stud. There are also kits that mount inside the door cavity.

Has anyone coverted their manual window crank to electric? If so, what did you use?

Did the early CHs with fiberglas doors use/offer electric driver and passenger windows?

Thanks for your help!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken

We had R.H. power window lifts in 4 of our "MH"'s.

I see no reason why they couldn't be used on the drivers side as well.

They were however not electric, but were air operated and made by Sprague Devices.

They didn't work bad, a little different than the way electric ones work, a little harder to control.

Only ever had one go bad.

The cost for the one we replaced I thought was higher than elephant ass and that was about ten years ago.

Don't know if it would even be still available!?

The air switches for the R.H. window lift and R.H. door lock were mounted on the edge of the center console right behind the ashtray panel.

Ron

Ken

We had R.H. power window lifts in 4 of our "MH"'s.

I see no reason why they couldn't be used on the drivers side as well.

They were however not electric, but were air operated and made by Sprague Devices.

They didn't work bad, a little different than the way electric ones work, a little harder to control.

Only ever had one go bad.

The cost for the one we replaced I thought was higher than elephant ass and that was about ten years ago.

The air switches for the R.H. window lift and R.H. door lock were mounted on the edge of the center console right behind the ashtray panel.

Ron

Ron,

I have seen the air operated RH window setup. It is on my list along with air operated RH door lock. I checked into the parts and if I remember correctly, some of the parts are NLA. I will likely have to find parts from a used truck.

P.S. Check you PMsg. I sent you a note about my operational issue.

Ken

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My 92 MH had an air operated passenger side window. I drove a CH and a CL with electric power window on the passenger side, pretty sure you could get power window on the drivers side too. I think if you go bone yard touring you might find something you can get to work in your MH door. If I remember right they all just had a bolt on box over the window crank with the air and electric motors. I have an electric power window on my Superliner and the motor is minted in a box over the crank.

My 93 CH had air operated locks and windows on both sides from a dash switch, always figured someone could use the electric aftermarket kits for a car or pickup and make it fit into a Mack door so you didn't have the motor out there looking like ass. I have seen guys put power windows in t buckets and old ford and chevy coupes with doors smaller and thinner than R models so why wouldn't it work?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Got any pics of the install during or after 41? I have wanted to do that to every R cab I've ever had. I already have two momentary-off-momentary switches that match the others. Ive had em in my toolbox for years waiting to get the right kit to do it, oh and the money I like horse power more than power windows.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

And what is that in USD? I am not quite sure what the exchange rate is for Elephant Ass. Is that African?

• Like 1

Got any pics of the install during or after 41? I have wanted to do that to every R cab I've ever had. I already have two momentary-off-momentary switches that match the others. Ive had em in my toolbox for years waiting to get the right kit to do it, oh and the money I like horse power more than power windows.

Never thought of taking pics. I generally don't have a camera handy and have no idea how to get photos from my phone to my computer.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 3 weeks later...

Ken,

There is a company called "Nu-Relics Power Windows", web site www.nu-relics.com, phone 336-699-8949. They make power windows for street rod. Let me know how you make out. I am looking for power window for my H.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info.

Ken