Engine issues - brakes, power, and losing oil

Guy Hopshtein

Hi all. I have been reading and reading all over the forum and it is quite a vast wealth of information.

My issue: 2002 Mack ch613 with an e7 460. When I use the engine brakes, it slows it down about as much as running over a few deer would. It is fine if I am going down less than 1% grade, but if I am coming down the rockies, forget it. I hope you aren't in front of me, because I am going to run you over. Not cool. Seems to work slightly better when my primary air is over 120,but not great. Until recently, I have not used this truck, and I have driven FLs, Petes, and kws with great Jakes. This one is useless.

Next issue, for those who are still reading, is power. This engine has 901k miles on it. I get the fact that it's old and used, but what a dog. 0-60 time is measured in light years (unless I'm going downhill with the engine brakes on). Any suggestions to improve the power would be appreciated. Also, when running loaded and hard through Hills, I seem to need a very active oil well to keep this thing happy with all the oil it burns.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

going out on a limb, but a friend has the same issue with the e-brake and was told the the oil pressure isn't high enough to work the brake valves in the head. what is your oil pressure @. they told him he needs a high volume oil pump.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Very funny. Right now, I am coming into California and there is a very steep grade. Having to 4th gear it and use the Johnny bar to keep from blowing up the engine. I'm afraid of jacknifing it, as there will be 10 million homeless bees.

My oil pressure is up at 60 right now, still no help.

Going to be in olympia WA in 2 days. I will go to tec Mack in Tacoma, unless anyone can recommend somewhere better or more affordable.

Thanks

Oil presssure to the jake was a problem with them. We put high speed oil pump on ours and it helped, but if I really needed a good Jake I would put a tune up kit in it and install the external oil lines kit that runs oil pressure for gallery on side of block to the jake spacers. It really makes a difference. I have had a few plugs come out of the rocker shaft end plugs & lose oil pressure but usually the jake dont work on that head.

I have a 2000 Vision with a 460 and experienced the same Jake problems. Had Jake rebuild and very little improvement. Added external oil kit and had some improvement but not great. Changed engine oil and added two gallons of Lucas and could not believe the difference. Pennsylvania mountains on I80 I had to brake going down I can now go down without applying brakes.

Also saw a 10 lb increase in oil pressure.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2000 Vision with a 460 and experienced the same Jake problems. Had Jake rebuild and very little improvement. Added external oil kit and had some improvement but not great. Changed engine oil and added two gallons of Lucas and could not believe the difference. Pennsylvania mountains on I80 I had to brake going down I can now go down without applying brakes.

Also saw a 10 lb increase in oil pressure.

The Jake in my Mack has always worked great. I also use 2 gallons of Lucas at every oil change.

With a pre powerleash brake CCRS engine 01-03 the engine brakes love thick oil and lots of it, the external line kit, high volume oil pump and two or three gallons of Lucas in your oil change will change it by about 50%. If you can tell a big difference in the brake with a cold engine its because of the thicker oil/higher oil pressure. This engine is not a 14+liter Cat or Cummins you have to remember that, your running a 12 liter now, if you get it pulling like the big Cummins and Cat its a bad dude to run like it has 100+ more cubic inches. If that Etech has 901k on it without a rebuild its been an awesome engine, do you know if its been inframed or swapped with a reman engine? The oil use isn't great for power, all that oil is going somewhere and if its not leaking it or putting it in the coolant its burning it which will make less power. Good luck with the truck but as the guys above have said the Jake can be made to do well with a little work, its not that expensive if you can do it yourself either and probably wouldn't hurt to roll in some bearings while the oil pump was getting swapped if its actually got 901k.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 3 weeks later...

I have a e7-427 in my '96 CH-613. The Jake on it is total crap. Based on this thread, I want to try Lucas in it to help that... I live in Alaska and it gets freaking cold in the winter here. Does the Lucas make the oil super viscous in extreme cold? We run pan heaters and synthetic 5W-40, but at -20 things get awfully sticky. Any info would be welcome.