Proper RPM for shifting an old R model

I used to run it up to around 1600, pop the go pedal, knock it in neutral, and wait on the needle to pass 1100 or so, and stick it in the next hole. That was on the few trucks I drove that had a tach that still worked. It seemed to be about the same on a 5, 6, or 7 speed. Somebody on here made me laugh the other day. They said run up the RPM's, knock it in neutral, pull out your favorite book, read a paragraph or two, then grab the next gear. Lol

• Like 2

Jake

@ Trent & Jake yall took the words right out my mouth cause I was thinking pretty much the same thing .

& Jake ive herd my pop (granddad ), great Uncle (who worked for pops buddy) & 2 of our drivers say the same thing about pulling out a book ... :loldude:

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Jim. it says 250 hp on the engine plate. It used to be a former State truck from MA.

Any other letters, i.e. ENDT, E6 or EM6? The reason I ask is that the factory engine on a 611 should not be lugged down that far. The fact that it has a 6 speed is why I thought the engine was changed.

An EM-250L can be lugged a little lower than an EM6-250 but I don't remember the specifics.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Same thoughts... Is this an E6 or an EM6. Or, what is the ENDT- number? It should be stamped on the timing case.

A Maxidyne version pulls fine down low. If you have the non-Maxi, basically a Thermidyne, it prefers to run a bit higher RPM, & not be lugged.

Mine is the ENDT-673C. It's a 250-horse Thermodyne, but has oil-cooling jets on the undersides of the pistons, & the extra head studs in the corners if the heads...like a Maxidyne. So, it can tolerate a LITTLE more lugging, due to the extra cooling, but still won't live at 11-1200 like a Maxi.

I've seen engine/transmission swaps which result in impractical combinations. But, if it's a factory 6-speed Maxitorque, & a factory Maxidyne, do what Lmackattack & jakebrake86 said, & keep the revs down in the 11-1900 RPM range.

Oh...and keep a sandwich or book handy to pass the time!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 4 weeks later...

We used to say "pull it out of 4th gear, go get a cup of coffee, then come back and pull it into 5th gear"! LOL

I hope this doesn't start a brawl...

I HATED driving the original Maxidyne/Maxitorque trucks!

Having to wait that long to downshift drove me batty!

You had to get in a whole different frame of mind to drive them. We used to call them a "lazy man's truck."

Just personal preference, I guess.

It's throwing me off :tease:a little bit! An R611ST (were they E-6's by then or still ENDT673C's?) either way,what in the hell is it doing with just a 6 speed behind it? Like the "weasel" says,Themodynes & Maxidynes are 2 different animals. An R685 with a 6 speed, okay.But a 611? HMMMMMMMMMMM?? Of course,trucks can be modified over the years.I know of a guy that put a E-6 in a Superliner that had come from the factory with an EM-6 in it.Lasted about 4-5 months.Couldn't take the lugging.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I'm told I have an E6-250 turbo with the original quadbox behind it. I think he drove it like that for 25+ years hauling dirt and doing paving (judging by how much is stuck to it). So I assume that's ok...Right? That's in the B-815 with 7.49:1 rears.

Yep. That's the classic Mack setup. And you don't have to wait long to shift...especially if you split all the ones you can!

• Like 1

Over the years,I have heard of guys using multi-speed transmissions with a Maxidyne(high torque rise) engine with success.Not so much luck, using a 5 or 6 speed with with a Thermodyne or for that matter,an Econodyne (or conventional torque rise engine),unless geared super low (like 5.something rears & direct trans,where it won't hurt 'em). And Mike,there are no dumb questions here.Remember that!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Over the years,I have heard of guys using multi-speed transmissions with a Maxidyne(high torque rise) engine with success.Not so much luck, using a 5 or 6 speed with with a Thermodyne or for that matter,an Econodyne (or conventional torque rise engine),unless geared super low (like 5.something rears & direct trans,where it won't hurt 'em). And Mike,there are no dumb questions here.Remember that!

I've also seen multi-speed boxes torn to shreds by a Maxidyne.

Look at the torque ratings...the old boxes just weren't built to take that much torque.

It mainly depends on how you load & drive them. If running a Maxi hooked to a Quad, for instance, don't let the Maxi lug down into that maximum torque zone. Treat it like a Thermo, & keep the rpm up in the 18-2100 range. The torque up there is more in line with a Thermo.

And, you're right; a 5-6 speed is just too widely spaced to run behind a Thermodyne without ridiculously low gearing.