what do ya think about a tag axle?

bullhusk

I'm sittin down tryin to spec. a new glider and I was thinkin about a rollin glider with a single rear and a tag axle (air ride sup) Now heres the thing WS an FL both have computer controlled air ride that deflates the tag when the drive starts to slip. I saw a new Freightliner in the yard over at Horwiths with a F-liner automatic and a tag axle, the truck is owned by Peters Bros out in PA. and saw how it works! What do you guys think about it? We don't go off road and it does save a lotta weight, and hell most a these drivers today don't even know what the hell a Power Divider is !!

BULLHUSK

Ernie I read some articles about the set-up you mentioned being used in Europe. They said it worked well for them. Are you considering a tag or pusher ? I run a tri-axle dump with a steerable pusher,I like it when you shift to reverse it lifts automatically. If you coast back in reverse with pusher down it will turn sideways and bulldoze until lifted. I do not know if you could run 2 tires on a steerable axle. I never saw a steerable with 2 tires on it. I do run 315 R22.5 on my steerable they are rated for over 9000 lbs each.I have full lockers in my truck so I would think if you put lockers in it and lift tag or pusher it would do pretty good in snow.Joe D.

They are out there but are costly. Seen one on a trailer. Pinned straight to back up. Also seen a 2 axle on a none swivel stinger for a generator. If this axle works out going to look into either swapping the axle itself out to a 2 wheel. I can't find the link but seen them in Mats a few years ago

Ernie I read some articles about the set-up you mentioned being used in Europe. They said it worked well for them. Are you considering a tag or pusher ? I run a tri-axle dump with a steerable pusher,I like it when you shift to reverse it lifts automatically. If you coast back in reverse with pusher down it will turn sideways and bulldoze until lifted. I do not know if you could run 2 tires on a steerable axle. I never saw a steerable with 2 tires on it. I do run 315 R22.5 on my steerable they are rated for over 9000 lbs each.I have full lockers in my truck so I would think if you put lockers in it and lift tag or pusher it would do pretty good in snow.Joe D.

Joe it would be a tag, just a 3 axle tractor and one rear and the tag behind the one drive rear, so it would be a 3 axle total tractor

There was a company that was pulling Heil pneumatic bulks for plastic pellets that was sold on (suckered into) a single drive axle and dummy second axle both on air. Second axle did NOT lift. After the first snow storm, the truck was in the shop and had a lift installed. It survived the winter barely. That spring, it was on two drive axles.

I sort of think a non steer, lift pusher on a single drive 2nd axle would be better.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

There was a company that was pulling Heil pneumatic bulks for plastic pellets that was sold on (suckered into) a single drive axle and dummy second axle both on air. Second axle did NOT lift. After the first snow storm, the truck was in the shop and had a lift installed. It survived the winter barely. That spring, it was on two drive axles.

I sort of think a non steer, lift pusher on a single drive 2nd axle would be better.

Friend of mine before he went into the office had a new binder with this set up. He liked it. Handled better in snow, It never tried getting sideways when you got on it. The axle didn't lift but dumped and it had a cross lock. Thinking it had a different traction control on it also. as far as I know he never needed the hook in Ice or snow.

I would think that two drives would be better and for resale and less hassle. We all know this was done on the old single axles to make tandems but then they got away from it. In Europe the roads and loads are different, I lived in Germany for about 4 years and although they had many singles and singles with tags/pushers the class 8 style trucks had tandem drives.

But if you can afford it, money and time wise put on a pusher and plan for a tandem set up if it doesn't work out, personally I would rather go with the tried and true set up and not gamble that it won't work or have problems. I always leave that for the folks that have more money than me. :idunno:

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

The other thing is, there are a lot of single ax tractors around for a lot less then the tandems esp. Penske & Ryder the hp is a little lower but you would still get a 12.7 or 14 L Detroit and they could be turned up! So if you could splice a air tag with a lift it just might work! For me anyway. I got a lot of feed back here and mostly pos.! Thanks !!

BULLHUSK