10W30 oil in an MP7?

Green Dash

We've had a problem with a few of the MP7's in our Pinnacles losing oil pressure and shutting down on long pulls. The shop says it faulty sensors but some of us know-it-all truck drivers think it may have something to do with using a lower viscosity oil.

Does anyone know if 10W30 is acceptable in these engines? Most of these trucks run 24/5 doing pick up and delivery work during the day and running the road at night. It's not vocational work by any means but the trucks do get a pretty good daily workout.

Jim

We've had a problem with a few of the MP7's in our Pinnacles losing oil pressure and shutting down on long pulls. The shop says it faulty sensors but some of us know-it-all truck drivers think it may have something to do with using a lower viscosity oil.

Does anyone know if 10W30 is acceptable in these engines? Most of these trucks run 24/5 doing pick up and delivery work during the day and running the road at night. It's not vocational work by any means but the trucks do get a pretty good daily workout.

Dump a gallon of Lucas in there see if that helps.

10W-30 oil is approved in most engines. I doubt the oil is at fault. There is not much difference in viscosity compared to a 15W-40. The only issue could be the oil is shearing out of grade. Does it shutdown when the oil is new (few miles) versus close to an oil change (many miles)?

If all your engines us the same oil and only a few shutdown...I would suspect a sensor or another issue but not the oil.

Here is the Mack approved oil list...

2013 02 Mack Approved Oil.pdf

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I neglected to mention that these are company trucks and drivers are forbidden to add, remove, or change anything mechanical. Thanks for the tips, though.

Ken, thanks for the link. I'll find out the brand since I see the 1030 is only approved for certain brands. The shutdowns seem to occur when oil is broken-in but far from being due for a change. I rarely drive a Pinnacle but it's happened to me twice. Pressure sensors have been changed on a few but not enough time has passed to confirm that the problem has been solved.

Jim

The 10W30 was factory fill for most 2010 + Mack MP engines, it was done for MPG reasons. But we were told if you ever changed to 15W40 , dont go back to 10W30. This was coming from a Mack engine guy at Hagerstown. Here is the Mack service bulletin on the oil pressure issue.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. As a driver it's sometimes difficult to get detailed info such as this, it all depends on who you ask. A few of us have had the engine shut down while on a long, steep incline on a poorly lit interstate. It's good to see that our shop is following factory recommendations and is also addressing the issue. We've had a few trucks in the shop for sensors but not enough time has passed to see if the problem was solved for the long term.

Thanks again.

Jim