GMC Syclone

yarnall

On Saturday we hooked an old Autocar to an old Fruehauf trailer to get the contents out. The contents was a 1991 GMC Syclone that my bother bought new. For reasons I don't remember, probably lack of storage, he decided to put it in this old reefer. That was in 2000. It had 8865 miles on it. Well we needed to move the trailer so we had to get the pick-up out. It needed a new fuel pump, but otherwise seems to have weathered the nap quite well. It seemed so neat back then. Now it looks dated. I'll try to post more pictures. Mike

post-7810-0-98836900-1373315893_thumb.jp
post-7810-0-60120200-1373316004_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It was a blast to drive when it was new and I was young. I probably wouldn't drive it like that any more. I put two more pictures of it in my gallery.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/gallery/image/13602-1991-gmc-syclone/

The trailer is neat. It would need a lot of work to make it road legal. I don't know why it says "bubble ass" besides some shit head with a spray can. Mike

• Like 2

Didn't the Syclone have a blown 3.8L engine?

I believe it is a twin turbo V6. They only came with an automatic and all wheel drive and black. It was the fastest production vehicle in 1991. Faster than a Corvette. The payload is only 300 pounds if I remember correctly. It isn't worth what he paid for it.

The Autocar looks good in pictures, but not too good up close. It is fun to drive with the cummins and no muffler and a 5 and a 2. Mike

I believe it is a twin turbo V6. They only came with an automatic and all wheel drive and black. It was the fastest production vehicle in 1991. Faster than a Corvette. The payload is only 300 pounds if I remember correctly. It isn't worth what he paid for it.

The Autocar looks good in pictures, but not too good up close. It is fun to drive with the cummins and no muffler and a 5 and a 2. Mike

4.3L V6 with single turbo & intercooler (from wikipedia).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The Syclone and it's cousin Typhoon were badass back in the day.

I recall reading an article on them when they were new. It read "0-60 in 4.6 seconds........in the rain!"

I test drove one at my local dealer and I was quite surprised with the acceleration, and this was after getting out of my '86 Buick GN. Very pricey for the time too. Neat little trucks.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

When the Typhoon production ended one of the guys I worked with scrambled to buy one. He wanted black but only found a green one at Kerbeck in Atlantic City. They had a black one but was on hold. A few days later he got the call that the black ones deal fell through and if he still wanted it, they will let him have that one instead of the green. He ran down that moment and got the black.

He took me for a ride in it and that 4.3l turbo blew me away. Super quick and that thing handled more like a sportscar then a blazer. I think he still ownes it to this day.

When the Typhoon production ended one of the guys I worked with scrambled to buy one. He wanted black but only found a green one at Kerbeck in Atlantic City. They had a black one but was on hold. A few days later he got the call that the black ones deal fell through and if he still wanted it, they will let him have that one instead of the green. He ran down that moment and got the black.

He took me for a ride in it and that 4.3l turbo blew me away. Super quick and that thing handled more like a sportscar then a blazer. I think he still ownes it to this day.

I thought the Typhoon only came in red, white or black. I never saw a green one. My brother looked at them used to have a pair, but they were always a little more than he wanted to spend.

My brother got his through a friend's step father who owned a Jeep dealership. That guy's buddy had a GM dealer and said there was one Syclone left in Detroit. It was shipped to the GM dealer and my brother and his buddy went for it. My brother looked the truck over while his buddy went in to talk to the dealer. The salesmen were talking amoungst themselves and said something like "look at that dirt ball". His buddy introduced himself and the guy responded "I guess you heard what I said".

I only drove it a couple times, but man did it stick to the road. Definitely a quick little sports car. I think they cost in the low $20,000 when new. Mike

Like you said, Syclone was '91 only and went for $25k and change.

The Typhoon was '92 & '93 and topped out at 30 large.

I like that Aspen Green JT...........there was a Teal as well.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

I still no where there is a Cyclone and Typhoon hiding in the corner with less than 10k miles each. The same guy had a Cyclone with a built 4.3, custom grind cam and larger turbo, think it ran low 6's in the 1/8. I remember he beat my 95 Z28 and I was running 7.50's at around 95mph.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"