Those Hayes Clipper 100 COEs

kscarbel

On 4/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, james j neiweem said:

In reading this thread it seems that Signal ultimately failed Mack. Signal took all of Macks profits for the benefit of Signal and not Mack. Mack should not have sold out to Signal which led to Macks ultimate demise. -Signal/Renault/Volvo. Also it seems that Kenworth benefited greatly from the Hayes aquisition which Mack was never able to bring to fruition.

Thats what happens with most acquisitions. They buy when times are good and leave the company to do its business, but as soon as time's get rocky funding gets pulled and companies shut down. All part of cut throat business practices 

On 3/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, BOB DINGSDALE said:

275 ROLLLS-ROYCE diesels 5+3 trans and 4640- TIMKEN rear ends, 12:00x24 tires.

Did I hear you right? I did't know you could get a Rolls-Royce that late In the game. Ive seen one International truck with one from the 50s but that was it. 

On 5/14/2022 at 4:07 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

Rolls Royce diesels were available in Australia into the 80's 

A new White Road Boss could be purchased from White with one

Paul 

Did any American trucks have Rolls-Royce engines as an option? I've never heard of one.

In 1955 MacMillan-Boedel made a deal with England to trade lumber for English items. They were ROLLS-ROYCE engines, LAND-ROVER jeeps and pick-ups. AUSTIN  11/2 or 2 ton trucks. All our HAYES HD's from 1956 till 1960 came with ROLLS-ROYCE super charge (@275 hp)or N/A(@200hp) engines . Our division had two WASHINGTON log loaders with N/A factory equip ROLL'S in them. Later in the 50's they were replaced with TURBO models @300 HP.The LAND ROVERS were bad for catching fire and being aluim. would melt. The AUSTIN'S were OK but crews wanted FORD's or GM'S so treated them as such. The ROLL'S were a good engine but hard on valves and over rated on power.Bottom end was strong except for oil pump gear and crank. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:30 PM, 67RModel said:

International had them as an an option but apparently they were rarer than hens teeth, and of those essentially all were repowered with domestic made engines......

The more I research this the more and more I think these Rolls powered Internationals were Canadian manufactured only. The one in the video was manufactured at International's Hamilton Ontario plant. I can't find any information that these were installed in American made trucks....

4 hours ago, 67RModel said:

The more I research this the more and more I think these Rolls powered Internationals were Canadian manufactured only. The one in the video was manufactured at International's Hamilton Ontario plant. I can't find any information that these were installed in American made trucks....

That's the International truck video I mentioned earlier. It would make sense as this video and his YouTube channel is all based in Canada, Ontario I think 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 4:34 AM, louisgbone said:

Mike You missed one FACT Mack did not have a choice about selling Hayes Mack was ordered by Signal group to sell Hayes

or risk loosing the only capital supplier they had that is why Jack Curcio quit in 1973. So Your theory of what Mack should

have done is all BS.

Sorry you think my theory is bs but it was just my opinion, however now knowing that fact i understand why they did 

• 3 months later...