Injection line fittings

Ok, after like 50 yrs, my return line to the pump has a leak. Seems the little rubber seal is about non existent. Was talking with peole yesterday and found out it is suppose to be like a compression seal originally. Mine only has a small rubber ring at the top, which is allowing the line to wiggle and leak. Been that way since I got the truck actually, but finally starting to leak.

Is it going to be hard getting new seals for the line? Might call Cross truck Monday to see if they list them. Is there anyplace else that might carry that stuff readily? Would a dealer carry this?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Larry

I wouldn't think they'd be that hard to get from the Mack Co. but then again it's been longer ago than I realize.

Originally they looked pieces of 1/4" I.D. rubber fuel line about 1/4" to 5/16" inches long. If you have no luck from the Mack Co.

you could try making them yourself.

Ron

O-rings not big enough to take up the needed space. These apparently looked like a "T" shape, and mine only has the top of the "T" left(or maybe just a straight piece like Ron mentioned?). The remaining portion that seals against the tube itself is long gone(thus the 1/4" tube is loose in the fitting and leaks). I'll check around tomorrow, I slipped a brass ferral on the end of the tube and snugged it down just barely(enough to keep it from working loose-but not so tight as to crush the ferral). It kept it from leaking for the trip to Milan, Michigan this weekend. But, I want to fix it properly. My guess is it needs to be a soft seal, as with the vibration I'm sure it would crack the line or fitting in short order.

Larry

So I called R/R Mack in Akron. Tell them what I need, he says, "yup, should have some, how many do you need?"> I tell him two, and he puts them in will call. I stop over on way home and get them. Little plastic sandwich bag with two little round tapered seals. The guy drops it on the counters and waves me away(as he picks up a phone call). He was busy and didn't want to mess with charging me the .05/each ?? I thanked him graciously and walked out.

I pulled the line apart again(still dry) and removed my brass ferrel and then poked the original rubber "seal" out of the brass nut. I then slipped the nut on the line and then the new o-ring. I tightened it down and started it up. Dry, perfect. The line is still kinda "loose" feeling, but no where like it was. I was expecting a bit larger seal, but if this works for now? What the hell, it didn't cost me anthing LOL!!! I threw the extra one in the sidebox of the bunk for a later date.

• Like 1

Larry

So I called R/R Mack in Akron. Tell them what I need, he says, "yup, should have some, how many do you need?"> I tell him two, and he puts them in will call. I stop over on way home and get them. Little plastic sandwich bag with two little round tapered seals. The guy drops it on the counters and waves me away(as he picks up a phone call). He was busy and didn't want to mess with charging me the .05/each ?? I thanked him graciously and walked out.

I pulled the line apart again(still dry) and removed my brass ferrel and then poked the original rubber "seal" out of the brass nut. I then slipped the nut on the line and then the new o-ring. I tightened it down and started it up. Dry, perfect. The line is still kinda "loose" feeling, but no where like it was. I was expecting a bit larger seal, but if this works for now? What the hell, it didn't cost me anthing LOL!!! I threw the extra one in the sidebox of the bunk for a later date.

Good deal Larry! You will pay for them the next time you stop at R$R for parts.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

For several days now I have been needing some fisheye reducer for paint. So I call the local auto parts store to see if they have what I need. So the closest O'Reiley store did not have it and tell me the other store has it . So I drive to the next closest store down the street to Advance Auto parts. They don't have a clue as to what I'm needing, so I drive to the next O'Reily store about seven miles from me. So I inquire about the fisheye reducer and they look for it which takes the guy about twelve minutes to find. He comes out with this pint can and tells me the cost will be $24.98. Gee whiz....man I did not want to buy the store. So I tell him I'll try locate it some where's else. Does anyone see how this is costing me? Trying to make a long story short and taking me several days to find.........I finally find the stuff online and I windup having to go back to this guy because the paint store is tooooooo damn expensive. The same guy finds it the next day for $12.98 for a 6 oz. bottle. I'm telling him that I use to get capsules of the same stuff at any parts store for nothing. Yes nothing, even the paint stores would give it to you. So do you guys see how everything we do is costing the heck out us. I probably wasted several gallons of fuel just trying to locate the item.

mike

Paint supplies have quadruple in cost anymore. All the EPA crap has made everything way out of sight!

I needed a USB charger for cig lighter. I was at local Azone so I looked around. Found the display with that crap and found one. $13(ugh). I grab it, but continue to look around the display. Ahhh, found another version(different brand) for $9. Perfect, take first one and hang it back up. Walk to counter and low/behold another display with another 2 plug USB charger for $7(brand #3). WTH??? Take second one back and grab third one. Really? Same thing, but 1/2 price? Oh well, pays to not just buy the first one you find.

Ken, actually Jeff(regular parts guy there at R/R) takes care of me. He usually remembers me when I started asking for B model parts. Most not get alot of those questions? LOL!!

Larry

Larry,

Glad it worked out but they don't sound like the right rubber seals to me.

The ones you're talking about sound like the small spherical shaped ones like they used between the heads on a 4 valve motor for the return line.

They will probably work but they are not the ones I was talking about------the ones I was talking about are square cut and like I said look like pieces

of 1/4" fuel line cut into 1/4"-5/16" length pieces. They also used to have either a green or red stripe on the side of them.

I'll see if I can find a part # for them.

Ron

Ron, I was kinda hesitant about them, after looking at how small they were. Likely not big enough to fill the void of the fitting. It did snug down okay and doesn't leak. Would be nice to get the correct ones(if available).

Larry

Ron, are these some special neoprene rubber?

mike

Ron, I was kinda hesitant about them, after looking at how small they were. Likely not big enough to fill the void of the fitting. It did snug down okay and doesn't leak. Would be nice to get the correct ones(if available).

Mike,

I don't know what they were made of, didn't look like anything really all that special to me.

Larry,

My parts guy at the Mack distributor knows exactly what I am talking about and is trying to find the part # for them and if they are still available.

I know this doesn't help you any, but before we closed our doors in 2010 and had our auction I could have driven about a mile and put my hands

on probably 20 or 30 of them--I knew exactly which drawer they were in!!

Ron

If they are nothing "special", then maybe I'll look at getting some 1/4" ID rubber tubing/vacuum line and cut my own? As long as the diesel doesn't eat it up, should be fine.

If my local guy doesn't have them, surely he is not going to order "a couple" in for me. Not worth the time/effort.

Larry

If they are nothing "special", then maybe I'll look at getting some 1/4" ID rubber tubing/vacuum line and cut my own? As long as the diesel doesn't eat it up, should be fine.

If my local guy doesn't have them, surely he is not going to order "a couple" in for me. Not worth the time/effort.

Larry,

I don't see why that wouldn't work, I'd just make sure I'd use the newer fuel line that holds up to the ethanol that's in today gasoline.

Ron

Larry,

I got the part #, have it written down over at the shop and forgot to bring it home and can't remember it.

Doesn't make much difference anyway part is N.L.A.

I'd seriously try to make some out of a good quality 1/4" fuel line I bet it would work.

Ron

I called the pump shop today and they told me to bring a line over tomorrow. I'll do this while on lunch break. The parts man and I already figured the rubber grommets should standup to any diesel fuels. This is going to get interesting ( It always does ). I have a strong feeling nobody has them, so they will probably have to be made or windup at an industrial rubber company and see if they can play with the idea. The question is......how long is this going to take? We'll see. I hope not all summer.

mike :whistling:

These fuel lines are a press fit and need no rubber anything. If you get a burr under them, they will leak,and they become useless. The return single line from the injectors is different. If it leaks you can put an o-ring inplace or whatever fits because this line has no pressure on it. The pump shop said they can get new lines that are straight lines only. But, you have to bend them yourself. ( Don't throw away old lines )They did say that all six lines are equal lengths.

Note: These numbers are for the END 673 American Bosch

Line #1 203GC3213A

#2 203GC3214A

#3 203GC3163

#4 203GC3164

#5 203GC3165

#6 203GC3166

mike