I got the chassis rolling

Vlad I am very impressed with the quality of this restoration you are doing. As someone who deals in restored classic cars, I am always appreciative of the labor and hard work it takes to restore a vehicle, let alone a large truck. I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

• Like 1

Very nice, I would like to see that in person some day. I wish I had the shop, time, energy and money to do a full resto to my Superliner.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Very nice work. How many hours would you estimate you have into the rebuild so far?

Good question. I long lost the count. Can say there are 3 years from the moment I got my first piece of iron home and above 2.5 after the start of works. I put not only my hands on it but 3 other guys who work at my shop. Not constantly, some one always involved into while others doing business. I take some worthes off including painting, halvanic and different machine processings. Surprizingly to me I spend much time looking over the photos I made while parting out, thinking on how to do every step and testing my truth in the manuals. That all takes a bunch of brain actions. And naturally, all your pictures posted here, minds, and practice are taking to account every or every other evening.

Great workVlad! Does the steering gears run in grease or oil? My AC's have a mix of oil and grease...odd. I'm waiting for the final price on the harness for your unit with the added conversion for the directionals added into the convoy / black out light harness and the reverse light wires. Talked to him this morning. Paul

Paul, there's oil in the gear. I had a happiness to mix oil and grease in my old Mrecedes-G front axle gear once, and it worked :)

Glad to learn you contacted that wire man, would like to know an average cost for a start although will need to make some brain pain to him by getting advices on nuances.

:SMOKIE-LFT: Vlad you are definitely a stickler to detail, the only way to be, very nice job.

Thank you, I tried to bite my elbow seeing the black RW you posted for sale. Too sorry it's not the day for me. And I'm also an exporter :)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Wow, I haven't seen that level of restoration detail in anything but a Corvette, L79 Nova or SS Chevelle! I used to help out at a shop doing frame-off restos in the early 90's and I really don't miss all of that work! I'll bet there's a beach worth of sand outside of your shop from sandblasting all of the springs, bolts, ect.

Keep up the awesome work!

Tim

Tim, you are definitely right. I dumped out KamAZ truck of sand (no Mack dumps avalible here). I dry it on sun and put into bags. The compressor has hour counter, need to look at it to know exactly how long I was in a desert.

Very nice, I would like to see that in person some day. I wish I had the shop, time, energy and money to do a full resto to my Superliner.

Ryan, you listed out all the components needed for.

I spent many years to get it all, now it seems to me I must be happy. What's wrong? Do I need a Superliner to be really happy?

Vlad , my hats off to you and your dedication to bring back that truck to a decent life , my guess is that you must have a bulldog instead of a hart to pump your blood ! gee you take care of every details possible you seems to have planned each things . I'd love to have that way of doing things . keep up the good work and keep us posted .

• Like 1

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

Tim, you are definitely right. I dumped out KamAZ truck of sand (no Mack dumps avalible here). I dry it on sun and put into bags. The compressor has hour counter, need to look at it to know exactly how long I was in a desert.

Vlad, if there are no Mack dumps there maybe that should be your next import. A nice Mack Granite Tri axle dump with a tub body would definitely turn heads in Russia.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Vlad, if there are no Mack dumps there maybe that should be your next import. A nice Mack Granite Tri axle dump with a tub body would definitely turn heads in Russia.

Ryan, there are some granites overhere, I see them sometimes in "for sale" section, they are expensive though.

I have never seen them on the road, folks told they work on Northen territories were extremely properties are required hard.

Just always try to stop myself thinking on my next import. It's so nice to choose from and make plans for an adventure although I force myself to do a hard work to make up the stuff I have now. I spent money for and i'd like to see it in a good shape. It was the reason to start over.

Hi Vlad, I was totally unaware you were doing this restoration, what model is it? All I can say is that I am very very very impressed. Is all the hardware SAE or some metric?........Paul

Paul, thank you for your comment.

There was another big post over my current project, you can see there the model I'm going to end up http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/29254-frame-is-ready/page-2

Good point about hardware. It looks to me important so I plan to use 100% SAE bolts. The stuff you can see on the pic is all original from the truck. Just cleaned and halvanized. I had 2 trucks when started or correctly say 1-1/2, so I have got some extra original hardware. SAE is exotic here, it would be nice to avoid metric stuff.

Anyway I can not complete whole the project without additional bolts and nuts. For example I will need a lot of carrige bolts with square nuts for a wooden body. There are metrics for sale here only. So I'm going to import them from your lovely country :)

• Like 1

Hi Paul, thank you. It seems those guys have tons of different hardware. Although they look too quick on a deal while asking me to register in the site right after 3 clicks on the items I wanted to see. I shure can order from them because it's the easiest way here to order by a local importer. I just contact supplier and then give the info of what I want, from where and how many. Locals contacted them then, I pre-payed with extra % and don't care about customs and so on. At least it worked good still.

• Like 1

Hi Vlad, So you can order from them but not direct? If thats the case who cares as long as you get the exact part you want, they do carry a lot of items not in the catalog but you have to ask. How hard is it for you to get a box shipped from here as I could send you a catalog if you wanted? Paul

RONCETTI

Seeing the frame hanging on chains reminded me of the old Hayes shop in Vancouver where everything was assembled by hand, upside down at first then rolled over, wheels on and hand-pushed down what was laughingly called an "assembly line" I worked for Mack twice, once in Calgary in the 1960's as the shop driver, demo new and used, appraised trade-ins, brought new from the factory in Plainfield and from dealers all over North America, I think I imported the last LJ into Canada. Later I was a salesman for Mainland Mack in Langley B.C. Sold tons of "R" models and MH's. I'll be watching your progress. Ted Campbell

U R L for Trucker Ted

http://www.truckerted.net/Trucker_Teds_Website.html

Hi Vlad, So you can order from them but not direct? If thats the case who cares as long as you get the exact part you want, they do carry a lot of items not in the catalog but you have to ask. How hard is it for you to get a box shipped from here as I could send you a catalog if you wanted? Paul

Paul, thank you again, I hope I can work this story out.

I'll need carriage bolts mostly and many of them for whole a new wooden bed. Not ready for because I'll need them of different sizes I haven't counted yet. I should make drowings of a body and I started on it. Many questions came on a surface so I contacted Mack museum and wait for the info now. Mail shipping to Russia was too cantancerous when I tried on. Had to wait a parsel for above 8 weeks. Russia now looks and in many cases is a modern country although many state services still used to work their way as it was at Sovies Union times. With only difference they did nothing but asked tiny cost for and now they also don't make their job but the prices are market. I better put my friend's adress in Germany or Holland to recieve a mail and then pick it up myself there. Long time but I know it comes well. I think it's strange to learn such things in 21st sentury although it's the reality. I hope I don't need a catalog so hard, would like to sak you If I definitely don't understand anything.

Seeing the frame hanging on chains reminded me of the old Hayes shop in Vancouver where everything was assembled by hand, upside down at first then rolled over, wheels on and hand-pushed down what was laughingly called an "assembly line" I worked for Mack twice, once in Calgary in the 1960's as the shop driver, demo new and used, appraised trade-ins, brought new from the factory in Plainfield and from dealers all over North America, I think I imported the last LJ into Canada. Later I was a salesman for Mainland Mack in Langley B.C. Sold tons of "R" models and MH's. I'll be watching your progress. Ted Campbell

U R L for Trucker Ted

http://www.truckerted.net/Trucker_Teds_Website.html

Ted, thank you for the interesting story. I also have Canadian made R-model and would say I like the specifications wich Canadians put to that truck. Long wheel base, big enough and well insulated sleeper, big tanks and so on. I'm shure environment conditions in Canada and Russia are close to each other so it's typical to like Canadian vehicle's performances because they are so usable and comfortable here. The truck is for a hobby though.

Hi Vlad, That's fine, and if you want me to ship a catalog to Holland, I will, some times its easier to see what you want on a page rather than online. McMaster has a no questions asked return policy if you order the wrong part also, but i'm not sure that would work very easily for you. But anyways, let me know.........Paul

RONCETTI

Thank you for the advice. I used to test and retest the stuff in my request because nobody will care about me recieving wrong choosed parts.