Other trucks

RFCDrum

I remember seeing a few KW's at Englishtown,one that i liked,the green single axle,it was done-up "old school" if i remember correctly,it was a 262 Cummins,4X4 Trans,neat little truck! not too sure about the other one,goobered up a little too much for me!..............Mark

Mark,

I think the green one belonged to Al Bieber.I remember it being in WOT.Was a decent truck,for sure.The other one,I feel the same way about it.I like 'em fairly stock,with a few upgrades.Most of us do make 'em look better than when they were new.I guess its just a habit,you know?!! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Mark,

I think the green one belonged to Al Bieber.I remember it being in WOT.Was a decent truck,for sure.The other one,I feel the same way about it.I like 'em fairly stock,with a few upgrades.Most of us do make 'em look better than when they were new.I guess its just a habit,you know?!! Al

I'm right there with you Al,some guys have the "knack" to restore/fix-up a truck,some don't ! personally,i like the classic look on a truck,a lot of the "show" trucks around now are WAY overdone for my taste! funny the things that you remember sometimes,but that green KW bullnose had the neatest aluminum "naked lady" grab-handles on it,never seen any others like it since! it was a sharp truck,and sounded great!........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

They are running out of things to do. Everybody is doing the same thing with these. You go to any major truck show now and the trucks are nice but very redundant. Give me old school. It was more personalized.

• Like 2

They are running out of things to do and have too much money. Everybody is doing the same thing with these. You go to any major truck show now and the trucks are nice but very redundant. Give me old school. It was more personalized.

edited...

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

There use to be Cardel Paving they had a bunch of generals and paystars with bristol donald bodies

My dad was the plant foreman for the asphalt operations at Cardell in Keasbey. He ran two Barber-Greene batch plants simultaneously during the busy season. I worked there between semesters running a 966 Cat loader feeding the concrete crusher.

Cardell ran a bunch of short-hood Generals when they first came out as It think the owner was in real tight with the GMC dealer at the time. The trucks were spec'ed heavy with 6V-92s and 12:00-24 rubber on spokes. They were beasts. Some even came with pit fenders which I've never seen before on a General. I must say, they were painted the ugliest shade of light grey. I'm gonna guess they had about 20-25 of the Generals, the newest probably being a 1980 model. The dump bodies were J&J out of Somerset PA. They ran them hard up till they shut down in 94-95. One General that stood out from the rest was their lowboy truck with the 475 HP 8V-92. That one hauled the pavers and the Wirtgen mill to the jobsites with ease. Good times!

Oh, and they had two Paystars in the same ugly grey. Both with Rockwell top-loader rears.

My good friend Danny who ran the shop garage may have a pic or two of the Generals. I'll have to pay him a visit soon.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Took a ride with my Dad one saturday morning,when he was looking at new trucks (did'nt have to ask me twice) thought we were headed to Trenton Mack,but all they had in stock were daycab conventionals,we did look around this lot for quite a while! these were taken at Central Jersey Kenworth (now gone) and all brand new,approx. 1976/77.............................Mark

Mark, was that the dealership on RT130 South right near the RT195 ramp? IIRC, they were only there for a few years then the place turned into a H-D / Buell dealer which is also shut down. I go by there every day to and from work. The place is still vacant BTW.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

My dad was the plant foreman for the asphalt operations at Cardell in Keasbey. He ran two Barber-Greene batch plants simultaneously during the busy season. I worked there between semesters running a 966 Cat loader feeding the concrete crusher.

Cardell ran a bunch of short-hood Generals when they first came out as It think the owner was in real tight with the GMC dealer at the time. The trucks were spec'ed heavy with 6V-92s and 12:00-24 rubber on spokes. They were beasts. Some even came with pit fenders which I've never seen before on a General. I must say, they were painted the ugliest shade of light grey. I'm gonna guess they had about 20-25 of the Generals, the newest probably being a 1980 model. The dump bodies were J&J out of Somerset PA. They ran them hard up till they shut down in 94-95. One General that stood out from the rest was their lowboy truck with the 475 HP 8V-92. That one hauled the pavers and the Wirtgen mill to the jobsites with ease. Good times!

Oh, and they had two Paystars in the same ugly grey. Both with Rockwell top-loader rears.

My good friend Danny who ran the shop garage may have a pic or two of the Generals. I'll have to pay him a visit soon.

I used to see them in Brick all the time when I was in high school. As I said in a previous post they had those funky stacks that came out towards the front of the cab shield. They were heavy trucks. Probably the heaviest specced GMC's I've ever seen.

I used to see them in Brick all the time when I was in high school. As I said in a previous post they had those funky stacks that came out towards the front of the cab shield. They were heavy trucks. Probably the heaviest specced GMC's I've ever seen.

My friend Danny kept them running. I'll ask him for the specs when I see him. Yes, the stack did the funky forward bend. I remember moving some around the yard and recall the 9 speed shift pattern being kind of weird with 3rd gear being on the bottom right. Did I mention that the color was awful.....? :whistling: