Western R Macks

Seeing photos and discussion has me wondering...

Did most of the Hayward built Macks stay on the west coast or western US? Or were most of them transported east? If they stayed in the western US...perhaps we need to send a "search and rescue" group west to look for survivors? What is the last year a western R was built?

BTW, enjoy looking at all the pics posted on BMT but especially like the western R and single axle R (and of course any cabover). :twothumbsup:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken,

I think they were scattered all over the place really,but mostly west.I recall seeing Hayward built MACKs with Dayton wheels,destined for the east.In fact when MACK closed Hayward,they cited one reason for closing and bringing the line to Macungie,was the fact that most of the Super-,Cruise-,and Value-Liners were coming back east to MACK customers! I want to say the last Western R (Value-Liner) was built in '89.When I went to order my 1990 RD,I wanted to get an RS600LS.The salesman told me they had quit building it and were switching to the RD "Western Contractor" model (straight hood).I have a picture of one,but I'll have to dig.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I agree with Al on the dates for the last western R-Models,and i think most of them did stay in the western states,when i was growing up it was a real rarity to see one here on the east coast,the ones i did see were usually just passing through from the west or mid-west.When i ordered my MH in 1988,a Valueliner is what i wanted,but they were no longer taking orders,it was dealer stock only and i could'nt find one anywhere with a sleeper on it,or a wheelbase long enough to add one..........................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Heres a picture of a "Western Contractor" RD model that was built to fill the void left by the RS "Value-Liner" chassis.Should have looked deeper into one of these ,as our specs in Illinois are so weight sensitive.post-510-0-11946900-1358912010.jpg They used more aluminum components in them than your standard RD.My salesman was having a stroke the way it was,after awhile he just turned the data book around to me and said,"hell,you know what you want,YOU order it!" I thought I should have made the commission on that sale!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I just ran across a '74 RS685LST today. It was apparently sold by Tri State Truck Leasing in Memphis, TN. It's a Hayward built unit with daytons. I'm seriously thinking about buying it, I'm just not so sure about a dump truck with strong arm steering.

I worked my RS in Chicago for 2 weeks hauling an end dump with manual steering. I quickly Decided to buy power steering so my arms did not fall off.

• Like 2

An outfit out of Iowa,Art Pape Transfer had a few Value-Liners with 36" bunks,leased to them in the early 80's.Always liked that truck!

There used to be several Value-Liners with bunks running around here,Audobon Brookheiser Transport(ABT) had several,Grandpa brought one of the last ones out of Hayward for them in '81,Sears in Atkisson,IL had a pair of sharp ones with 36 in Double Eagles,Joe Reich in Versailles,IL had a really nice gold one with a 48 in Able,he ran it for a long time.Wish I'd taken pics back then.A local farmer/trucker just picked one up,really sharp,low miles,heard he was taking the bunk off,go figure.

• Like 1