R model firewall insulation

Does anybody know if the black OEM style insulation is still available anywhere? The interior in my 96 RD is pretty clean except for the cracked up, dry rotted piece of insulation under the dash. The local Mack dealer can't find it in his system anymore. I've seen people put black carpet over it before, but I really don't want to go that route. Thanks!

Jake

I pulled all the interior out of mine and put two layers of dynomat everywhere I could get it, best thing I ever did, makes it as quiet as a new pinnacle, and keeps the heat from the firewall and floor out.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yep did the same thing, rubber paint,dynomat,carpet on the firewall. Also did the doors,rear wall,floor and roof, made it real quiet, still want to make a flat firewall panel that is on the outer cab to further silence the road noise.might even put that hood mat stuff under the hood. . Biggest noise issue on my cab was from the firewall/ steering shaft hole and gear stick holes.

Even with my straight stacks It's pretty quiet now.

I pulled all the interior out of mine and put two layers of dynomat everywhere I could get it, best thing I ever did, makes it as quiet as a new pinnacle, and keeps the heat from the firewall and floor out.

Been reading up on dynomat,thinking of putting it under the floor of my 70' Chevy pickup next time i take it apart,good stuff? does it work? don't know anyone personally thats used it,just wanted to get some opinions before i look into buying it........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Roof flashing or ice guard sold in home depot is very similar and a lot cheaper,also there is an insulation sold in marine stores that some say is the best stuff on the market but pricy,rubber backed carpet is also a good choice for the inside fire wall,cab isolation is the key,the more the cab is isolated from the frame the quieter it will be..

I like the DYnomat it worked great, I put it in 3 trucks and my old Camaro, I have to get to HiFi buys and get 2 more project packs to do the cab of the 85 Superliner now, I did 2 layers on the floor/firewall, one layer in the roof,back wall,door panels and it made it freakin awesome. I will do it to every truck I have after the first one, it makes a huge difference in the heat transmitted thru the floor and firewall and cuts the road and engine noise in half, I could set my phone on the dash on speaker and talk going down the road in an 84 Superliner with an E9, pretty serious difference from barely hearing anything with the phone on my ear. I used almost all of two project packs that have 100sq.ft. a pack I think I have two half sheets left when I was done. I think its about $200 bucks a pack now but I still think its worth it, buy a good 2" wide hard rubber roller to put it in with and get some new blades for a carpet knife to cut it then you are set, if you cut it while its cool(under 70 degrees) its not as sticky and is easier to work with, then once I had it in the truck I put a space heater in ther and got it hot as I could and got in and rolled it all down a nsecond time then did the other layer. I am kinda anal about this kind of stuff so I go to extremes most would not but its done right when Im finished I dont have to do it again. I would also recommend a turbo blanket to all E9 owners it keeps the heat from the turbo off the firewall and in the exhaust where it belongs.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Hey Superdog. When you insulated the firewall did you put it on the engine or interior side? Thanks

interior behind the carpet, I put one layer on got it rolled into all the corners then put the other layer on overlapping the seams then replaced the carpet, its kind of a pin to get it up into the cowl around the corners but man its worth it.

no you use DYNOMITE in a Freightliner you use DYNOMAT in a Mack!

• Like 1

interior behind the carpet, I put one layer on got it rolled into all the corners then put the other layer on overlapping the seams then replaced the carpet, its kind of a pin to get it up into the cowl around the corners but man its worth it.
Just keep in mind it's a sound deadener not a sound blocker it deadens the sound by stopping noise that is caused by vibrations in the sheet metal.If you can add something to absorb some of the sound waves bouncing around it would help a lot,but you'll never reach the quietness of a newer truck because of the way the newer trucks are isolated from the frame and drive train,floating on those big air bags..

Yeah but a new truck has no style and no E9 I say no to look alike fuel mileage freight haulers.