Calling Jumper and Son

tkobes43

Thanks! It looks like a Cummins. I do not know what year is the truck. If it was a Detroit engine it would be a V engine (6V or 8V).

Did International offer the Series 60 in a Transtar?

So it couldn't be 671 Detroit? Different motor than a 6v71... ?

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

671 is the same thing as a 6v71.

A 6-71 is an inline 6 cylinder ~ I know them as a "238".

Had one in an old FWD water truck at the quarry where I used to work. I swear it would turn at least 4000 rpm.

Terry

Julian, PA

Many many firetrucks had I671's.....Including my volunteer outfit's 1978 Hahn, which had the first I671T (turbocharged) that Hahn ever installed in one of their trucks.

Yes, the loud, obnoxious, smoke-blowing, oil-dripping, two-cycle lawn boy wanna-be mechanical assholes came in inline and V versions. The scavenging blower on the inline versions were mounted on the sides.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

671 is the same thing as a 6v71.

Tom

Negative... 671 is an inline six with each cylinder having 71 cubic inches. 6v71 is a V6 with each having 71 cubic inches... Nomenclature is the same for all 53, 71, 92 series detroits. 653 inline 6... 6v53 is V6... Etc

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I would think you could get 6-71's in them in the early days, but I do not know for sure.

I671's were available in the mid-1940's I believe (back when Detroit was known as GM Diesel.) They were especially popular as a marine engine for their ability to run backwards. The Philadelphia Fire Department had three fireboats that all had four I671's that could be clutched in any combination of propulsion/pump drives.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS